SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzeec

To Be, or Not , To Be?

suzeec
15 years ago

I have recently become very intrigued by this site, in my search for inspiration and information. We live in a small, but well established community on the upper west side of Galveston Bay. In Sept. of last year, our community was devastated by Hurricane Ike and our beautiful old (1933) home was substantially damaged. She had a lot of charm and character. In her hay-day (sic?) she stood proud with cedar shake shingles and lots of cedar paneling and oak bead board. I envision her as looking somewhat like the Cape Cod cottages I have seen in New England. But being old, she had a lot of quirks, with funny shaped rooms and several additions thru the years; quite a few things that we planned on changing in time...

Well that time has come. We can not repair, we must rebuild. Our hearts have been broken, but our children say it is an awesome opportunity. If they only knew how hard it really is. I travel alot for work and have always fancied the home improvement and kitchen/bath design magazines. I always dreamed of designing my own home. Now, I feel lost. Mainly because I am a planner and I am/was not prepared for this. We were very lucky to have found a wonderful designer and structural engineer who were able to work with us and the requirements and limitations we have, due to the fact we have to build up 8Â, and we have an existing pool and garage that will remain on the property, as well as keeping the square footage at the original 1946 sq ft. The old foot print encroached on "new" building lines, but it was grandfathered. Now we have to meet all the "new" boundaries and codes. Our old house was our inspiration for the look and exterior finishes, but we added a wrap around porch (3 sides, ~800 sq ft). The new floor plan is more modern and open, but will still have that simple coastal feel. We also have a huge dormer on the front and back that will be unfinished bonus space for now. It will have a potential 1000 sq ft of livable space. We love it and so do our neighbors.

I am sorry for rambling. Our dilemma is, we are unable to find a builder. Right after the storm we had all kinds of builders and contractors sending us fliers and stopping by, but we were very leery of them. Now, I call builders and contractors, schedule appointments and they do not show. Some have legitimate reasons, but they are the minority. These are local companies. We were afraid of the "Storm Chasers", but now I am starting to worry, what do we do? Do we take on the build ourselves? I know I could do it (with the right research and guidance), if I didnÂt have to travel like I do, but I know my husband couldnÂt. He gets stressed too fast and he also tends to rush thru everything.

Any suggestions would be appreciated so much. I donÂt want to get in over my head, but we are going to have to start making some decisions. We have been out of our home now for 7 months and we need to see progress, one way or the other. Thank you in advance.

Comments (14)

• suzeec
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just in case you are interested, a link to the plans...

Here is a link that might be useful: My House Plans

• kcthatsme
    15 years ago

I would recommend you go to the http://www.ownerbuilderbook.com/ site and buy the book. You can download the electronic version for free here.

http://www.ownerbuilderbook.com/bookstore/The-Owner-Builder-Book-in-Electronic-Form-264.aspx

or buy the book for 11.95 here.

http://www.ownerbuilderbook.com/bookstore/The-Owner-Builder-Book-How-You-Can-Save-More-Than-100000-In-The-Construction-Of-Your-Custom-Home--4th-Ed-1.aspx

It looks like you already have your floor plan drawn up. Do you know if it was drawn to code and ready to submit to your county for permits?

The book will walk you through the steps to owner build. Basically you would act as the general contractor and you would have to hire the subs, etc. More work on your end than just having someone else do the project but there are several on here that are doing just that (myself included). You would need to schedule the subs for when you're in town since you would need to be on site for any questions they have, etc. Anyway, get the book and see if, after reading it, you think that it is something that you would be willing/able to do since the builders/contractors in your area don't seem to be helping.

• Related Discussions

BeBe the wonderdog

Q

Comments (17)
    Well, he had a bad night, lots of regurgitating. He has kept his liquid breakfast down. A few minutes ago he drank water from the water dish. This is the first time in a month. So it does look like a good start for the day. Again, thanks for the moral support. What a great family y'all have become.
    ...See More

BeBe update

Q

Comments (16)
    Kathy, BeBe's recovery is a tribute to his will to live and to you and Diane for your devotion and care for him. A truly heartwarming story, all I can say is that I hope he continues to recover as well. Glad to know Diane and you are now feeling better too. Eduarda
    ...See More

I was being lied to and being fooled into buying..

Q

Comments (6)
    Marcia, then I want to move to zone 5 Alberta where it borders on zone 6 ... you know, that region where the sweet cherries and peach trees flourish, lol, lol. I guess they anticipate that only a small percentage of folks will remember to keep their receipt and request a refund when the plant perishes. I wish they'd instead stock northern varieties, such as wild selections and their hybrids known for their extreme hardiness.
    ...See More

Tulips being killed! Heads are broken off.. anybody know why?

Q

Comments (11)
    But do groundhogs, squirrels, chipmunks or rabbits EAT the flowers, or do they just break them for fun? Cause the leaves are perfectly fine and the flower heads are still intact, just on the ground and broken off the stem. :( Any way to deter them? I might try Liquid Fence (?) and see if that helps save my tulips.. I don't think it'd be kids, cause these tulips are right up next to the front of the house so it would be obvious for them to come up and knock them down. Our neighborhood seems to be pretty friendly. :) but there are lots of squirrels....
    ...See More
  • suzeec
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the quick response! The plans are to code,we have to build to specific wind codes, it has to be energy star rated and I can't think of all them right now, but they are Approved and stamped by the Engineer and our city inspector is in the process of reviewing them, for his approval.

I bought a book right after the storm about being an owner/builder and I left it on a plane! I could have cried... I took that as my sign that we should just get a builder.

I do appreciate your help and I will let you know how it goes. Thanks!

• kcthatsme
    15 years ago

"I left it on a plane! I could have cried... I took that as my sign that we should just get a builder." The sign could also have been that you were having a very stressful time and your mind just wasn't in the right place to remember your book.

Good luck with your adventure.

• carterinms
    15 years ago

suzeec, can your architect or engineer provide recommendations?

For the first year after Katrina, all the local contractors and the storm chasers were so busy repairing damaged houses that you couldn't get them to talk about the rebuilds. A year and a half after the storm, we signed a contract with storm chaser whose main redeeming quality was that he was the only contractor that was responsive and not outrageously expensive. In retrospect, we should have been more patient and should have kept looking. The contractor was a good salesman and was bringing in new work to fund the existing work and his gambling or drug addiction or whatever he was siphoning money for. We would have been better off spending the 6 months wasted with this contractor looking for a reputable/honest/quality GC.

Your plans look good - for your future bonus - do you have windows that meet the egress codes? Also, you should consider doing the rough in plumbing during the initial construction.

I've provided a link to my blog - maybe you can learn from our mistakes!

Here is a link that might be useful: My build

• suzeec
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, kcthatsme for the link to the website. WOW! Lots of information, overwhelming at first, but a cool place for sure. I have already downloaded several spreadsheets and the like. I have a lot of reading to do.

And I do agree with you on the comment about my leaving the book on the plane. I had so much on mind at that time, it is a miracle I was functioning at all, much less working and travelling!

Thank you very much and I will keep you posted on my decision and our progress!

• suzeec
    Original Author
    15 years ago

carterinms - We did get referrals from the designer and engineer, but they are both located about 65 miles north west of me and none fo their referrals were willing to do work this far south. So we will just patiently keep looking and in the mean time I am researching the owner builder idea. My nieces husband is a civil engineer and he has his own business doing home inspections, but since the market has dropped, his business has slowed tremendously. He said he was willing to help us out, so once we get the final word from the insurance company (anouther nightmare in itself) we will try to make a plan on how we move forward.

I sat down last night and started reading your blog on your build process... "Bless your Heart"! I feel for you, but it was such an awesome idea to journal it all, the way you did. Your incpector, sounds like our inspector. My husband is dreading our build because of the hoops he made us jump through when we were building our pool. Our designer and engineer both said that with city inspectors, there is not alot you can do, but comply; as they are the "Rulers of their Kingdoms". He has the plans now and he as requested several things for the plans, that were not defined in his initial requirements package he gave us, when I confronted him, it was basically his stance, that if the document he gave me wasn't clear, we should have asked for clarification. I thought it was clear, what was I thinking?? Anyway, I am anxious to continue reading your blog and see how you finally overcame it all. It is definitely giving me good information to keep in mind as we begin that phase our recovery.

Congratulations on such a beautful home. I know it had to be along time in coming... WHat was the exact time frame from the time of storm to getting into your new home?

Another note, all of the windows that require alternate egress have been defined and are noted on the plans. I told my husband that we should do the plumbing rough in for the bonus room, but he said that would just give inspector a reason to give us grief. I told him that it is done all the time. Maybe if I tell him, you said we should do it, he will listen. (He does tend to listen when someone besides me says it!!)

Again, thank you for your time and for sharing your blog. I will post updates, and probably have more questions along the way. Take care.

• carterinms
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliment Suzeec. We are loving how the house is looking - it's great to see it all come together.

We signed the contract with the GC in March of '07. We're still not in the house! Things are going smoothly now that DH is doing everything. We're still in a FEMA mobile home - the program ends at the end of the month (as in next week!). We hope to move into the house in 6 weeks.

• suzeec
    Original Author
    15 years ago

carterinms, I wish you all luck in getting in your home soon. I am dreaming of the day that we can actually break ground! I can't imagine being out of my house for 4 years. It has only been 7-8 months for us and it seems an eternity!

I am doing research and trying to learn as much as I can, so when the time comes we will be ready to get started with the build.

Thanks again for your feedback!

• Ron Natalie
    15 years ago

For the seedier side, you can try to find a book called "It Takes Jack to Build a House" by Betty Wason. I found this referred to in Tracy Kidder's House (also entertaining reading). Chapter titles are such as "The house is framed and so are you."

• suzeec
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, ronnatalie. I could actually use a little humor right about now! I will let you know if I am able to find it...

• suzeec
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well after reading and talking and reading some more, we have decided, on our limited budget that we will in fact just do the GC ourselves. I am a bit scared, but know I can do it.

I do have a question though. My nieces husband, is going to be our Project Manager. He wil be on-site, when we can't and he has connections with local subs. We are trying to work out the details on a fair price for his time and effort. Does anyone have any tips, on how to make this decision? Should we do it 'Cost Plus'? or determine a set value that he will receive? I looked thtru the blogs and was unable to find anyone with this type of circumstance.

I have seen several instances, where Cost Plus contracts are set up @ 15%, but not much more than that.

Any tips, comments, experience in this area would be greatly appreciated!

• lara_jane
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear you lost your home. I just can't imagine what you've been through.

The only bit of advice I have might not work out for your lot: It would be ideal if your house faced south, particularly if you could "flip" the house plan so that your breakfast room was on the east side. I'm designing a home, too, and I'm in the throes of researching Passive Solar design. The southern exposure would save on your electric bills even if you didn't build with the conducive materials. But like I said, you can't do anything about it if your lot's orientation won't allow for it!

At any rate, I wish you and your family the best of luck in this venture!

• suzeec
    Original Author
    15 years ago

larzebub, thank you for the encouragement.

Our lot is a half acre, but due to the fact that we have an existing pool and garage that will remain, we are quite limited with placement of the house. It will be facing North, but our breakfast room will be on the east side of the house, so I guess that is good?

I am trying to do as much research as I can, to be as "green" as possible, but having been kind of thrown into this; I am just now getting to the point where I am able to actually think - initially I was just totally overwhelmed!

Thanks again and Good Luck on your design as well... Keep me posted on your progress.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville