SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ash6181

Please help with my front elevation

ash6181
11 years ago

Hi everyone:

We have been working on our plan in order to reduce square footage and costs. Part of the changes involved dropping the height of the roof and reducing the second floor area. Obviously, this has changed our front elevation. I've always had some concerns about the elevation, but it's time to make some final decisions.

To help you understand the elevation, starting at the left the are with the small rectangular window is set back from the main part of the house. That's the area that houses the master closet and bath. The gable on the left with two windows is the garage. The gable on the right is the office.

I'm not sure I've put my finger on exactly what's troubling me or all of the problems, but here are a few concerns I've identified.

1. Shutters- Yes or no? My husband wants shutters. I'm not sure that they work where you can't put shutters on all of the windows.

2. Materials- currently we have brick, stone, and shakes. I think three materials, or at least this particular combo, may be too much. I think if the brick was replaced with lap siding, you could keep the stone and shakes because the shakes and siding would read similar if they are painted the same color.

3. Stone on the gable above the front door. I think stone above the roofline may read as too heavy. Shakes might be a better choice here?

4..I think the beams in the left gable (I'm not sure what the correct term for this is) need to go. I'm not sure it complements anything else.

Help! It's so hard to combine what I want with what my husband wants and reach a happy compromise and it's hard to visualize how things on paper will look once constructed. I welcome all input and suggestions. I know it's my house and I'm the one that has to like it, etc. but I am interested in what others think and feedback sometimes helps me identify what is bothering me. Sometimes, it also shows me I need to quit worrying.

So what do you think? Good, Bad, Ugly? How would you change things? What materials would you use and where would you use them? Thanks for your help!

Ashley

Comments (16)