SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nwroselady

Anyone watch 'Who Wants a Clean House'?

nwroselady
16 years ago

This show on BBC is a hoot! The hosts are described as Britain's dream cleaning team. They receive requests from homeowners themselves, and sometimes from their families or friends, who are tired of the dirty houses and flats and want them cleaned up but are overwhelmed by the magnitude of the problem. Many of them are hoarders, so the first order of business is persuading them to throw away all the clutter.

I don't know why I'm so fascinated by the show. I have an average house which is mostly clean. I'm not a fanatic but the food in the fridge is safe and I routinely pick stuff up and put it away.

My mother finds the show distasteful, but I've gotten some good cleaning tips. For example, to blast open a slow kitchen drain, mix one quarter cup salt and one quarter cup borax and pour into the drain, then pour in one half cup white vinegar. The chemicals combine and have a mild reaction that blasts loose all the gunk.

The hosts use a lot of natural cleaners that won't bother people with allergies.

One thing puzzles me. They sometimes will use "biological powder" dissolved in a little water to clean up stovetops covered with grease. I'm not sure if they mean a dishwashing product or a clothes cleaning product. Any one got a clue? (We really don't speak the same language, at least, not all the time.)

Comments (6)