SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rcvt

side-opening wall oven doors -- safety and comfort question

rcvt
14 years ago

I've been designing and redesigning my kitchen for so many years that I now need to consider universal design principles in the remodel! Yes, I got that much older!

Bending over a range oven to lift out a big casserole or roast is simply too painful, so I'm thinking wall oven. To eliminate the particular back angle that is needed for lifting objects out of a wall oven that has a drop-down door, I'm thinking side-opening.

These models made my first cut:

- American Range's 30" French door 4.7 c.f. (pricey & unique -- maybe uniquely safe and convenient?)

- Frigidaire's 27" side-swing 3.4 c.f.

- Fagor's 24" side-swing 1.8 c.f. (nicely compact)

- and the Gaggeneaus which seem way out of my price range for a side-swing door.

Width is not the deciding factor. For the right oven, I'll make design adjustments. Cost is very relevant but not the ultimate deciding factor. Interior space is significant because I bake often (but not that many items at a time).

I probably have wall space enough for only one oven no matter which oven it is.

The most important elements by far are ease of use and SAFETY.

I've never owned or used a wall oven or a side-opening oven. Is there anyone who switched to a side-opening wall oven for safety and comfort? Is it safe and comfortable?

Are there other features or effects of a side-opening oven that I need to consider? I do realize that the door must open in such a way that it doesn't crash into anything, and I know I must provide appropriate landing space(s).

What are other side-opening oven stories that I need to hear?

Thank you!

Comments (18)