SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naturelle_gw

vacuum cleaner recommendation please

naturelle
18 years ago

I'm looking for a recommendation for a vacuum cleaner. I removed all of the carpets, and have finished hardwood flooring and ceramic tile. I will want facility for upholstery and window coverings.

I have owned many units, including the stick ones, and mostly canisters, generally the utiliarian ones like Eureka, Beaumark, Hoover.. I read cupajoe's post and the replies with interest. I had considered some of the units commented on, mainly because the prices seemed attractive for the advertised supposed attributes. Names like Shark Euro, Fanthom, Lightning, Hoover this and that, etc. However, I can see these moderately priced units also reflect the performance and longevity, or lack of same.

I never had a bagless or a "hepa" unit before, but I'm thinking I would like to go in this direction. I see my old units released a lot of dust into the air, and I have sinus and respiratory problems. As I looked deeper into this, I see vacuum cleaners like Filter Queen, Electrolux, Rainbow and such are supposedly the cadillacs, but these units new are way beyond what I would want to pay. However, I do want a reliable, good performing unit, and will pay for good quality that will last. I am not hard on the equipment, as I am not a clean freak, so a goosd unit should last several years.

I'm considering buying an used, fully reconditioned units of those top line names. I could get them for around $200-$400 (for originally priced units up to $2000), which I would pay at Sears, Walmart for an Eureka, anyways. These would come with up to 4 year warrantees, and the service is locally available.

I've only just became aware of the water filtration types, and they seem to make sense. I would prefer a good filtration system, but would not want to be stuck paying exorbitant prices for replacing proprietary filters or bags, and I do not know if this is a problem with these premium units.

So, I wonder if I can get some recommendations as to actual brands and models of these units, I should look for.

I've seen a red Filter Queen, a blue Filter Queen, Rainbow knock-offs, various Electroluxes, but am not familiar with the respective attributes or problematic limitations of the various models.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (19)