SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lopay_gw

Need help figuring out hood vent

LoPay
10 years ago

Thanks in advance for any help.

We are planning our renovation, and need to figure out what we need for a hood vent. I will be putting in a 36" 5 burner gas cooktop, the highest burner is 16K BTU. I cook quite a bit, and plan to use my Lodge grill a few times a week.

Here is the kicker, I'm planning on a 30 inch counter depth where the cooktop will be installed. I would like the cooktop centered between the wall and edge of the counter. Can I get by with a wall mounted 600 to 800 CMF that is 20 inches deep? Can I install this at a reasonable height so I won't bang my head? I'm only 5 feet tall and hit my head on my current hood.

I didn't budget for building a hood and using an insert, but would consider it if the overall costs was less than 1K. FWIW there will be no wall cabinets around the cooktop, so a custom hood would not be my desired look, but I could make it work.

I would like a higher CFM so it is quiet at the lower speeds. I'm not worried about brands at this time, just need to understand what the right configuration would be. I am aware that I might have to consider MUA requirements with the higher CFM. My current hood vent does about 60% removal when I am cooking something smokey. It is an ancient Kenmore Solid State.

Comment (1)