SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cs6000

Got a tough question about the $6500 tax credit

cs6000
14 years ago

OK, here's the situation:

I am just finishing the build on our new home. I could live in the house the way it is now. Just waiting on carpet in the bedrooms.

It is out in the country, not subject to any codes or inspections. I have contracted it myself, and done much of the work myself.

I have paid cash for all the materials. I have borrowed only a small amount on a HELOC. There are no contracts, mortgages, etc.

We own a house in town, it is paid for, have lived in it 19 years. We meet all the IRS criteria to take the credit. The instructions for form 5405 (tax credit) say you must submit a form HUD1 or certificate of occupancy to take the credit. Without one, it may be denied.

The is no agency in the county that issues such a certificate. I've tried some home inspection services, they also say no. The county tax assessor says they cannot help.

I called the IRS. The person I talked with was of no help. He had to look up the instructions for the form before he attempted to answer, and was basically less familiar the me with the issue. (He was the one who suggested the home inspection services, that I then tried with no success.)

Anyone got any bright ideas? It is getting crunch time now.

I plan to take the credit for 2010, at any rate. If the IRS has a problem, at least they will notify me and I'll have a way to talk to someone with some clout.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022