SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmb1123

Please help - glass tile is cracked and crooked

lmb1123
15 years ago

I have a glass mosaic tile border in my shower. From a distance it looks okay, but when you get up close many of the tiles are cracked and chipped. The tile installer says that this is just how glass tile is, but when I look at the uninstalled sheets there are only a few that have tiny little chips in the corners, nothing like what I am seeing in the border. When they were installing the border I heard them banging and I am afraid that they chipped the tile by hitting it too hard (I think they were having trouble getting it to adhere?). Does this look right to you? Am I being too nitpicky? It doesn't help that there are a few sections where the tiles are installed very unevenly. Some of the problem was grout and glue left on the tiles, which I spent about two hours cleaning off although it is still not 100% off (and is that my job to do or should the tile installer have done it?). But even after getting off the excess grout there are plenty of real chips and cracks. I tried to mark the worst ones but there are tons of less obvious ones also.

The top edge of this picture is the underside of a shelf, which is why it looks kind of messy (although I kind of think it shouldn't look as messy as it does - really, this part looks just awful).

The real question is what do I do about this? Do I have them rip out the border and start over? Pop out individual tiles? How much will that mess up everything else? Or should I leave the whole thing alone? I am sick about this - any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

-Lisa

Comments (5)