SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
new_phase

Crooked peninsula, dealing with builder, please help!

11 years ago

When we first purchased this house, I got tons of very helpful info on this board. I should've listened to whoever suggested I should've switched builder. Silly me, I didn't listen, and now I'm suffering :(. Here's one of the many problems we have and I'm looking for some advice

Background: we purchased a house from a mass builder (whom we thought was reputable). We've been fixing many problems (mostly cosmetic except one leak) since we've moved in (4mths ago). The most recent issue is they installed the cabinets for the kitchen peninsula crooked (off by ~1/2 inch), since the granite counter guy measured the granite based on the crooked cabinets (instead of working off a proper 90 degree), granite counter is off as well. Not sure if I explained it clearly, think 90degree angle for a properly installed peninsula, ours was installed going off on an angle greater than 90.

Customer service for our builder and 2 trades (cabinet and granite) were here discussing solutions today. In the end they wanted to move the cabinets straight so to hide the granite mistake, and this will satisfy the Tarion'a allowance for error (we live in ontario canada). I'm not happy as I see it as a way of hiding the mistake than fixing it. Of course to do it properly they'll have to rip out the granite and that's costly for the granite people. Their view is we're fixing it so visually everything will look okay. The crookedness is only obvious because the cabinets are touching the kitchen tiles, which are lined. As long as the cabinets are straight, granite being off wont be obvious

I felt cornered. They gave me a whole shpill about no peninsula is ever perfectly straight and by Tarion, this js all they need to do. I've never dealt with Tarion before so I don't know who to trust. Do you think this will impact our house value down the line if I accept their quick fix? Maybe this js just how it's like, am I being too picky making it an issue out of something very trivial?

Comments (12)