SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sabrinaflorida

Shower questions

sabrinaflorida
13 years ago

As I mentioned in a previous post, my husband and I are getting ready to remodel our 5 x 8 master bath.This is a budget remodel but of course we want it to look fresh and contemporary. (We are in a 1970 mid-century modern home by the way). We have questions re: the shower.

A contractor-friend (not the contractor who is doing the remodel) thinks we should get a custom glass shower door that opens (rather than slides). We think a sliding door is more practical due to the small size of the bathroom.

Contractor-friend thinks sliding doors (from Lowes or Home Depot)are tacky and outdated.We have looked at model homes in the area in the price range of our house and it is true that none have sliding shower doors, BUT new homes (even small houses like ours) have bigger bathrooms than old houses so there are less space issues.

But we are also thinking of just getting a curved shower rod and using a shower curtain due to the pain of keeping glass doors clean. The contractor who is doing the remodel has this in his own master bath for the same reason.Opinions?

2nd question-I want a fairly high threshold to the shower (probably about a foot) as I've used showers in hotels that had low thresholds and they flooded fairly easily due to the volume of water coming out of the shower OR poor drainage, or both. Contractor-friend thinks we should have a low threshold, like 6 inches (we are using 6 inch tiles).Opinions? Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)