SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnfrwhipple_gw

Kerdi E Book - is it needed? Free Online instruction

johnfrwhipple
13 years ago

Who has paid for a Kerdi E Book? I see a number of them available for about $10.00 - $20.00. Has anyone downloaded one? Why would you when there is so much free online videos right from Schulter themselves. Mongo right here in these pages has the best Kerdi "how to" I have ever read - I have it booked marked on my toolbar.

I took a Schulter course here in Vancouver about 7 years ago. This course cost me $275.00 and gave me some hands on training. I switched right away to Kerdi and Ditra and have not looked back since.

Over these past seven years I have stayed current and have studied every week the proper install steps and have looked at easier ways of waterproofing the walls. The kerdi install is slow and hard to keep tight. We do high end work with multiple niches, benches and fixtures. These build ups are a pain and after so much frustration started doing a hybrid technique.

Now I am sold 100 percent on Ditra/Kerdi on the floor of a bathroom- this is not in question. My concern is that there are so many Kerdi Failures online from the Mom and Pop tile show. Just search "Kerdi not Sticking" and you will find post after post. This proves to me the learning curve that me and my boys have found to be hard.

I prefer a liquid applied membrane because I get the same waterproof result with only fraction of the cost (materials) and 1/3 the labour (install time).

With Canada's top two online workmen promoting Kerdi and with JB promoting his Kerdi E Book you have a strong side for pushing Kerdi.

Lets look at an average tub enclosure (88 square feet). To install Kerdi from a box outlet it will cost you ballpark $300.00 for the Kerdi ($3.00 square foot) plus thinset and a good day for a beginner.

Lets for the Flip Side say you use a liquid membrane like Red Guard. Red Guard costs about $85.00 (couple hours max to instal over two days). I have installed more Red Guard in my jobs than Kerdi. All with 100 percent success rate. Lets say you are like me and read about bathroom renovations every day. lets say you talk like me to the industries top players every month. Lets say like me you study all your peers work and ask about their setting material and waterproofing products.

Lets say - because it's true that Laticrete is the hands down winner in my circle of influence. I have a bucket of Hydro Ban that has waterproofed it's second shower. I'm not a scientist and I can't tell you why Hydro Ban is better than Redguard or even if it is. All I can tell you is that it goes on like butter and the room is not so dark when finished and this is an important point in doing fine layout work.

Look me up - view my work. Read my discussion online and you will find me to be a perfectionist in all I do. I want to work with the best crews on the best projects. I want to know that my installs have me standing behind them and my suppliers. I have been talking with Henry Rothberg from Laticrete for some time now and he is a gem in...

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths