SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gem_cap

Doorless shower for a 4'11" X 2'11" space?

Gemcap
9 years ago

Hello,
We're in the process of designing the interiors of our first home :-). Space is a crunch and this forum has been invaluable over the last 6 months.

The bathroom is tiny but I like the idea of a doorless shower as against a sliding door. The links on this forum refer to spaces larger than what we have (I think the smallest was 4 X 5).

Is 4'11" X 2'11" impractical for a doorless shower? We will have a overhead shower as well as a handheld and a faucet and are considering linear drains.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Edit : The washbasin/ lavatory / shower / faucet will be on the right side so as to avoid the shower being so close to the window.

This post was edited by gemcap on Fri, May 23, 14 at 9:16

Comments (6)

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

You are going to get splashing and modest puddles on the bathroom floor, but, if you don't mind cleaning that up each time you shower, go for it. I have a doorless shower that is 5' X 7' and I still occasionally make a mess.

• enduring
    9 years ago

Another option is to make the whole room a wet room.

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

If you do a rainhead rather than a standard head and do a half wall with glass on top, you will likely be ok if you put a bath mat outside the shower. That is what we did. Our shower is wider than yours--about 47"--and the same five foot length. However the rainhead is what makes it work. We get a little bit of overspray but not much. You would likely get more but probably still ok. I will try to post a picture.

This post was edited by nycbluedevil on Sat, May 24, 14 at 8:09

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

• Gemcap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Many thanks all for your thoughts.

We opted to separate the wet and dry areas (or as dry as a small place can be; it will be wet area and damp area) so looking at your comments and options, we'll go with a curbless shower area, with a frameless sliding glass door for this.

For the other which is just a shade broader @ 3'4 will try an open shower one.

nycdevil you have a lovely shower space- the colours in our bathroom are very similar to yours. Is yours curbed or curbless? I so wanted a seating ledge but given the space, will make do with a Japanese bathing stool.

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

Thanks. It's Botticino marble. It is much more beige and less pink in real life. We have a 4" curb at the front of the shower.