SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charliedawg_gw

A must have for those building in a rural area!!!

charliedawg
15 years ago

Hi guys, I bet you don't remember me. I was really active here when we built our home. We finished 1 1/2 years ago.

We live in a very rural area. Our house is the last house on the electrical line.

I'm in KY, since moving here we have been hit with 75 mph sustained winds from hurricane Ike that left us without power for 10 days and a vicious ice storm that left us without power for another 10 days.

Not only that but power goes out hours at a time on a regular basis. Our neighbors down the road confirmed that this has always happened.

This is what I would do differently if we were building right now.

1. We would have installed a stand-by generator that operates on propane (natural gas operations also available and would be a better option). It wouldn't need to be super large. $5000.00 would have been more than enough to properly set up our home.

2. We would have built a wood burning fireplace. We don't have access to natural gas. We opted against a fireplace because I didn't want the wood smell.

During the icestorm power outage a wood burning fireplace would have kept our entire home nice and cozy. Instead we all had to huddle around an electric heater ran by the generator. Lots of gas money spent on that when the temperature was -20.

3. If you don't want to spend the 1000s on the whole house generator, have your house wired so that a portable generator can be hooked into your home. This should be done by a professional!!!

#3 is the route we are taking. We already purchased a large portable generator when the wind storm came. Now we are spending a few hundred to have the electrical work done so we can just plug it into our home.

Good luck and enjoy your build. It's all worth it in the end. :)

Here is a photo of our house, it might help some of you to remember me.

{{gwi:42886}}

Comments (15)