SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frakis

Need advice: building in rural Washington state.

frakis
2 years ago

Hi all, thank you for taking the time to read this and assist me. I bought 5 acres in rural Washington state, and plan to build a home. We have a builder, and he said he could break ground in April 2022.
My wife and I have been looking at hundreds of floor plans on line, but just can't seem to find the right one. We can have a partial walkout basement with 9 foot ceilings since our lot has a slight downwards slope. I have attached some pictures of the lot for reference. You can also see Mount Hood in the distance on a clear day. I attached one picture where the neighbor plans to build his home (red line showing approximate location of home).
We have been working with an architect to design our home. Is there anything you recommend that is a "must have" while living out there? There is no natural gas (we will need a propane tank and more than likely a wood burning stove for backup). I'm not really handy, but does it make sense to build a shop/shed while the builder has the supplies and crew in n site? We are on top of a mountain with lots of sunlight? Do you recommend solar polar, and if so can you be specific (just a few appliances, or the whole house, etc). Our architect recommended putting in floor heating to help keep the house warm. The weather can get down into the low 20's in the winter and 90's in the summer. There is about 15 inches of rainfall year round, and 32 inches of snowfall.
We currently have a road, electricity, phone line and cable line running to the property.
My wife doesn't feel comfortable being on the main floor so we will have a 2nd floor where the bedrooms will be. The main floor will also have a guest bedroom. The great room will be 2 story so you can have a nice view. I want an overhang and deck coming off the great room to enjoy the view. If you could design your "mountain home" what would you include?
Thank you for all your help. I would greatly appreciate any ideas you may have.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths