SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Tiling Ceiling in Shower, is it Over Kill?

enduring
11 years ago

I want to know if tiling my shower ceiling is over kill. In my bathroom that I am tearing out to remodel, we would get mold on the ceiling some years ago when the fan wasn't working. Seemed to be ok since but the mold was a problem before.

I would love a tiled ceiling in the shower, so I could wipe it down easily, but I don't know if I can physically install it. Then the grouting would be hard too. I want to use the Hansgrohe Raindance e420 2 jet shower head that Noopd used. I will link a thread I started regarding the shower, below. I will have an exhaust fan/heat lamp in the room. The room is about 8x8' so 64sf. The ceiling is 8' high.

I plan to use Spectralock Premium Pro epoxy grout on my walls and floor of the bathroom, like I did with my other bathroom remodel.

Questions:
1) will it be a problem to not tile the ceiling?

2) If I tile the ceiling is there a recommended size? I was thinking of using 24x12 on the shower walls. Would I get a smaller tile for the ceiling so I can lift them overhead? (Ick I am not liking this idea of lifting tile overhead.)

3) If I don't tile the ceiling, what do I use for the ceiling material? Would I still use cement board or Hardibacker?

4) We will be using a heating lamp and fan, all in one type,exhaust fan. Should I install another fan in the shower or just install the fan/heating lamp fixture just outside the shower (which I would prefer because of the smaller size of the room)?

5) Can you paint over Hydroban?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: ...please advise on my shower pan

Comments (9)