SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swampwiz_gw

Can a bifold door fit along a 1-1/2' frame?

swampwiz
15 years ago

I've got a real strange situation with a closet. It is going to be from the side of a staircase (i.e., the space under the stringers.) Unlike most closets under a staircase, in which the door is parallel to the steps at the high end, with the top sloping down as it goes to the back, this closet will be from the side such that the left side will be at a lower height than the right.

Anyway, putting a door on this closet would be problematic. One solution could be to simply cut a regular door into the shape of a trapezoid (on its side). But there seems to be another, elegant solution, in which there would be a 2x2 trapezoidal frame that would be in the back half of the staircase-room wall, which would allow for sheetrock finish to be done on both the sides. The remaining 2" of framing would be a standard rectangle that could support a conventional door.

So my question is basically, if I only had 1-1/2" of frame, would that be sufficient to put in a bifold door? Note: the door would not have any slack room in the back as that would be the 2x2 frame trapezoid and 1/2" sheetrock. It seems that the key is how much distance there would be from the axis and end of the doors. Perhaps such a door could be manufactured with the axis being closer to the end than normal.

When I get some drawing up and figure out how to post them, I will add them to the thread.

Comments (3)