SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cooks4play

Sub-Zero 601R cleaning question

cooks4play
16 years ago

I've had, and loved, a Sub-Zero 601 refrigerator and 601 freezer for almost six years now. I remove the grille panel and vacuum, not nearly as often as I should, but I do it. Over the weekend I noticed the flashing SERVICE light. Reading the manual, I learned that turning the machine OFF, then back ON would remove the flashing sign. It worked for three days. Today, without excessive door-opening, the temperature has risen from 38 degrees to 45 when I called the repair people. The shop owner told me that perhaps vacuuming the coils could solve the problem.

Here's where it gets tough. There is something beside the grille to remove. It sounded like a black panel covering the face of the coils??? My husband tried to do as instructed and this very handy guy found it impossible to do. There is no mention of this in the manual but the repair guy was pretty adamant.

Has anyone else ever done this? If so, please tell me how to do it. Meantime, I've put two large blocks of ice and a couple of frozen chickens in the refrigerator to keep our cool (!) until I get somebody here to h-e-l-p. TIA.

Comments (3)