SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fridgeshopper

Need to Replace Old Sub-Zero, but would love advice

fridgeshopper
16 years ago

We need to replace our old 650 equivalent Sub-Zero built-in. I don't know the model number, but it was the original refrigerator from when the house was built in 1984. We've lived here for 7 years. It's so old, the bottom freezer was a door with only one basket and the ice maker and fan protruded into the freezer, giving us very limited space (there was also a shelf in the door).

I've spent a lot of time researching here and on consumer reports. I understand that the new SZ have reliability issues, and some say the Monogram is better (although it seems to have less space). The dealer suggested a GE Profile SS cabinet depth if we don't go with the built in (or a KitchenAid). That model is 72" high. He said some people just leave the old SZ grill rather than making a cabinet.

Has anyone here replaced a built in with a cabinet depth fridge? Does it look okay, or do you always have a gap?

We were very unhappy with our old SZ because the freezer was so tiny. The new one would be a substantial upgrade for us. From what I've seen at the stores, I think the 36" SZ uses space better than the built in Monograms (which seem to give only 3 1/2 shelves, rather than four in the refrigerator part).

Since we never had one, we had liked the idea of a sxs with ice and water in the door. But then I've read that people with sxs complain about the lack of space and the difficulty in keeping the water dispenser clean and functioning. (We have a cheap Whirlpool top mount fridge in our basement, b/c our old SZ freezer was so small.)

What to do? Are we best off just replacing a S-Z with a S-Z b/c it will fit, or should we try to get something with a better repair record (and then we'd get the SS, rather than making new panels)? And what about a GE Profile or KitchenAid cabinet depth? How do they compare, and would a 72" caninet depth never quite fit the space left by the old 36" sz? In other words, once a built in, always a built in.

Thanks for the advice. This is a great resource. I've read just about everything I could find, but did not find this question asked before. I had started out thinking we'd get the half price GE Profile, but this week, I'm leaning back to the new Sub-Zero 650. Thank you!

Comments (10)