SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thew60

wet dog smell from newer dishwasher-

thew60
10 years ago

I know there are a million posts on 100 forums about this BUT I wanted to tell my story to see if there is anything else going on;
I have a LG 7551 dishwasher that was installed 11/13. Stainless in and out. My family and I noticed several weeks ago this distinctive "wet dog" smell coming from the dishes, particularly the GLASSES, not the DW. In looking up the causes and remedies, I used TANG which left the DW smelling like a glass of the stuff and worked for a couple of weeks. I REGULARLY clean the filter in the bottom (damn the energy star- this thing doesn't hold a candle to my old Kitchen Aid).
Here is the odd part. The DW smells normal, the dishes are pre-rinsed and when the cycle is over come out smelling clean and with no odor at all. It is only after we take them out of the cabinet to drink from them the smell hits us like a wet labrador. Putting the glasses upright in the cupboard is to no avail. This is the part I find strange...
I installed this unit myself and checked all connections which are to code and correct.

Any ideas will be very much appreciated.

Thanks for reading!!

Comments (238)