SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wildcat22_gw

Help with interior paint...pay extra to *not* have flat?

wildcat22
15 years ago

I found this forum a few weeks ago and am loving it!

We are in the process of building a new home (our forever, we're never moving again, home) and having a dilemma with the interior paint. Flat paint is what they use (sherwin williams). With a 3year old, baby on the way, and large dog who likes to rub his back on walls...I really don't want flat paint, I'd much prefer an eggshell or satin. Our builder is telling us that doing eggshell/satin on new construction never turns out well and they don't recommend it. The painters want to float the entire wall with mud (to the tune of $4,000) and they've done it before and they said it looked horrible and refunded the homebuyers the money. So, I asked if we could do the basecoat in flat but roll the top coat in eggshell/satin and they said they can...with a cost of $1550 for the entire house...and that we'll need to sign a waiver saying we may not like it.

Do I just suck it up and deal with flat paint for a few years until the walls are dinged up and just hire painters to come in then and redo everything? Or is it worth the $1550 and signing the waiver?

Comments (18)