SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

What do you have your flat screen tv in/on

funkyart
15 years ago

I do not want to wall mount my medium size flat screen tv (42") but I also don't want to put it on a typical tv stand. I want something a little different and about 30-38" high. I thought this would be easy but I am struggling. I have been checking craigs list every day for a buffet or server to refinish/paint but no luck. Now I am looking for pieces to BUY but I am still struggling some. The tv box is sitting in my living room and I am losing patience!

What do you have yours in/on (other than the wall or fireplace)?

Comments (66)

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

Check out the console tables at Home Decorators - a ton of styles to choose from. It's not heirloom furniture but it sure gets the job done and doesn't break the bank. We have the Harwick 2 drawer as a console/tv table in our bedroom. When/if the time comes that we move, redecorate or just tire of it, I'll sell it without a bit of guilt at a garage sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Console Tables

• happytobehome
    15 years ago

Here's mine, but it sounds like you want something taller and more formal. I needed a casual corner unit because my family room has no unbroken walls - 3 doorways and 2 windows - which creates a real challenge.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: LL Bean Entertainment Stand

• Related Discussions

Do you have a flat screen tv or just a regular box?

Q

Comments (36)
    The TV we watch most at home is a 32" Sony Bravia HDTV box. It's nine. It's built low into a bookcase in the Library'. The 13" Sony box in the breakfast area is about 15 years -- spent $100 for one repair ten years ago. Each has cable feed. Larger set has HDTV-R cable and recording gizmo. Small screens usually look sharp in any variety. When the little Sony dies we'll replace with a small flat screen. No point in replacing the large set. It's where we want it and picture and surround sound work fine for us. Flat screens are really lightweight. We had to pay a beefy guy to carry an old Panasonic 19" box away when we bought a 19" Toshiba flat screen combo HDTV-DVR for the bedroom at the condo -- $280 last week at Costco. LR screen in the condo is a 26" Sony box in an armoire. Both have cable feed. Who still has and uses a VCR?
    ...See More

Please show me your flat screen TV...

Q

Comments (9)
    Hubby built this shelf for our new flat screen, in our media room, because the TV above works great, and having the 2 works out well for us, the reason #1 is high, and kept flat screen as high as was possible is because we view TV reclined in our chaise type recliners and you are naturally looking up not down. The corner cabinet houses DVR, and the mass of wires behind it, because we can hook up PC and other things to flat screen, so lot's of cables etc. to hide. And the unit on wall below TV is our master station, for whole house sterio/intercom etc. Close-up of shelf & TV Our kit. flat screen mounted on an articulating bracket, can be moved out and turned.
    ...See More

How long have you had your flat screen tv?

Q

Comments (18)
    So, maybe to clarify...Our smaller tv (~10 yrs old) gets lots of use. It is on from about 5-10 pm at minimum on weekdays and more on the weekend. The larger tv doesn't get quite as much use, but it still gets a fair amount. That is about 26,000 hours (I rounded to 50 hours for the weekly average) on the smaller tv in the 10 years. I do not know what is considered average or expected for the life of a flat screen, but I just looked for an answer and the plasmas are supposed to last 100,000 hours and I expect the LED/LCD are similar. That is a lot of tv watching. If we get 100,000 hours, that would mean about 40 years! Four years does not seem like very much time. I would be very unhappy.
    ...See More

Does anyone have a flat screen tv on the wall over the sink?

Q

Comments (4)
    Funny you should mention this! I am contemplating putting one over my sink and I do have a window there. There is a 35 inch space between the two cabinets. I have an island with seating that faces the sink....so people could sit at the island and watch sports etc. I am a foodnetwork addict and I usually work on my island with my back to this area, but could move to the side of the island if there was a good episode on so that I could watch. I think it would be a really nice set up...I am supposed to get a bonus on my first check in September and off to Ultimate electronics I go!
    ...See More
  • parma42
    15 years ago

Demifloyd, your whole room is gorgeous! I've always wanted to hang a screen like that but was afraid of the weight. Did you have a problem with hanging it?

Sorry funky but you said it was OK to hijack, lol. If you like the look of the marble, I'm sure you could find one for yourself. Does your store carry Stanley? They have some nice looking marble buffets at a better price point than HW.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

This is so timely! I have spent 3 days looking for the same solution. I am really limited as to what I can use. I don't like the TV stands at Best Buy type stores because they are not high enough and they don't fit traditional styles.

What you see here is a temporary solution for our new 65" TV. I found this really ugly sofa table at the Salvation Army store for $20. I painted it with flat black spray paint. (The installers wouldn't move the woofer thingy to the shelf under the tv--wasn't in the contract. It would have hidden the cables; I could have lived with it better.)

• laurensmom21
    15 years ago

Great thread! I am looking for something too. How about this one from Ballard's ($1199). Looks very similar to the HW one to me and it comes in black & cream too!
    {{!gwi}}>

Southern Accents magazine has a 15% off Ballards coupon in it this month too!

I'm thinking about this one from JCP for $899 because I need the display space (looks almost exactly like the PB one but MUCH cheaper!)

Good luck :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ballards sideboard

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

Mine is one this. I don't have my camera to take an actual. There are drawes behind the sliding doors on the right side.

It's in my FR and we don't feel the need to hide the TV.

• meg711
    15 years ago

We have one of these stands, in the Horizon series, in our rec room. It's great, and it is a solid piece of furniture. (Another item from this company had been featured on the Today Show for its quality.)

I checked with the company and they're coming out with a taller TV stand in the fall--if you can wait that long.

Here is a link that might be useful: Standout Designs TV stands

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I just remembered, someone on this board posted a photo of their BR tv on their corner mantle, if I remember correctly, and it looked so good. You wouldn't think so, but it did. With the new, slim tv designs, they are almost a decorative accessory now.

• susanilz5
    15 years ago

Whn we first got our 60" TV, I kept it on on old hope chest that I refinished. (Or do you call it a cedar chest?) The height and width were perfect. I've since bought a new TV stand, but the hope chest worked well.

• sedeno77
    15 years ago

I used a Stein world cabinet:

• marisany
    15 years ago

This is a great thread. I've been looking for months for a closed TV cabinet to fit into the corner of our LR. The flat-screen is only 31" wide, and my space is small. I haven't found anything yet. Maybe I should look into lift consoles?

yvette, I love your Stein World cabinet. I hadn't heard of this line before. I just found their website, but they have very few photos. They don't seem to have dealers, but only list a few furniture shows. Do they sell only to decorators? Is the stuff horribly expensive?

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow.. so many great solutions! I am definitely looking for something with a midrange height 30" or more(I have a low profile stand). I think the larger tvs work very nicely on the lower stands but mine needs a little lift.

Laurensmom, I like the Ballards buffet and there are a few at Crate and Barrel I like. They are all 1/2 the cost of the HW but when I look at them side by side I see the difference in quality, darn it ha.

Marisany, you should have a lot of options for a 31" wide tv. I don't know if you want the entire tv closed off or just the boxes but at 31" you can definitely use a small profile armoire-- antique or otherwise.

Hope everyone else got some good ideas too!

• parma42
    15 years ago

Funky, I love HW and if you can swing it, go for it.

I know in our new house, we've had to buy so many things on a budget that I would have preferred to go higher quality. Almost had a HW dining table but the one I wanted didn't have a leaf. Still waiting for the pretty French Heritage one we ordered to be delivered, which was the same price point so meant skimping elsewhere.

I'm having the same problem with finding good craigslist quality in Chicago and I'm afraid to drive downtown, lol, so that limits me even more.

IMO, you can't ever go wrong with good quality, new or used.

• miles661
    15 years ago

Here's our FP in our "media room". The cabinet came from Lowes. The door on the lower right had a black wood panel in the middle which I replaced with glass so that the cable box remote would work without the door open. I also installed a strip light over the bar glasses just for fun.

{{!gwi}}

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's very sharp, Miles.. it doesn't look as inexpensive as it was and how convenient to have wine and glasses right at your fingertips! The thing that has me thinking is that your wine cabinet isnt as wide as the TV. I really thought I needed to have a cabinet as wide as my tv (41"). This shows me that I don't have to find a 42" wide cabinet.

Thanks for sharing.. and thanks to everyone who shared their photos.

• sedeno77
    15 years ago

I found my Stein World cabinet on sale at the Nieman Marcus outlet for $500.00 I see a lot of Stein World at Marshall's Home Goods Store.

• D W
    15 years ago

We use Ikea's Liatorp sideboard. It's white, and about 34" high. Needed something taller to hold the TV high due to bifocals. Small drawer at top of center section for instruction manuals. Rest of center holds cable DVR, DVD player, VCR and more on open shelving. Glass doors cover shelves on each side for ample storage. A Pioneer plasma with side mounted speakers sits on top with no dangerous overhang. Love it.

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

I searched high and low for something interesting and/or antique but never found the right thing. We have a smallish TV (I think 32"?) and limited space between the edge of our fireplace and a jog in the wall, so it was tricky to find something. In the end, I bought a shelf unit from PB that works fine. The components (we just have the cable box and a DVD player) are not hidden, but I think they sort of blend in with the other stuff on the shelves. And the cords are more "hidden" now than they were in this pic.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sueb.. I saw that same unit at the PB outlet at a really reasonable price (they also had the one with a similar design but wrought iron frame). I wondered if I could personalize it enough to make it look not so austere. You definitely did. Love the fish and the frog!

• wooderlander
    15 years ago

Because of a weird configuration of the wall where it has to be, our 42" flat-screen is on a low cabinet, about coffee-table height, that fits the available space. Turns out it's the perfect height for watching, exactly eye-level when you're sitting, you don't have to look up at all. We have bifocals too. :)

The DVR and DVD player are behind the cabinet doors and the TV is in full view all the time, which doesn't bother me because it's pretty sleek looking.

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

This is ours..it's homemade...the tv is a 50" dlp...we are going to upgrade to a 55" lcd so we'll be making the top part over. Would love to get a 60" but there's not enough wall space.
    The top is where I keep my small family photos...I wish I was better at uncluttering...I do try and put thing away, but gradually they find there way back.
    oh well...

• cpccarolyn_2008
    15 years ago

funkyart, what is the name of the Hickory White cabinet that
    you are thinking about. I love it.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cpccarolyn, it is a buffet in the continental classics line. Details in the link below.

It is beautiful, isn't it? I am still going back and forth between this one and the french heritage pieces. At the moment I am leaning towards this one because of my credit with the store that carries HW and not FH. I was quoted 2400 (or so) for the piece. There is a buffet with a similar look (Ceylon Buffet) at crate and barrel for less than 1000. It's not as nice and doesn't have such a strong euro feel but I like it as well.. a few touches with gold paint and it would be even more similar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hickory White Buffet

• parma42
    15 years ago

Hey funky, how was your party?

I just took another look at your HW pic and noticed the legs. Those could really provide a nice transition into the funky/oriental/eclectic look you're going for.

• cpccarolyn_2008
    15 years ago

funkyart, yes, it is beautiful. Thanks so much for the information. I am going to check it out and see what price
    quote I get. Thanks again.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Parma, I think so too.. I spent a lot of time looking at all the pieces yesterday and as much as I love the FH lines I think the HW buffet will go a long way towards bringing all my pieces together. I had abandoned the samurai line at FH and was looking at the more classic french pieces but it just all feels like too much. I definitely want 1 or 2 chairs with "french lines" but I don't want a "french" room-- if that makes sense. It would be beautiful in another home-- but it doesn't fit the style of my house or my lifestyle at the moment. Anyhow, like you, I think the HW buffet provides the perfect transition and flavor without being over the top with the curvy french lines. Funny how we have been thinking in parallel lately-- and your comments really validate my thinking (which I seem to need lately).

I am still going to price the FH secretary though- but I am not in dreamland thinking I can squish it into my budget.

The party was fun-- it was a very cool night here but a fun time was had by all. Thanks for asking!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I set up my flat screen last night and realized that it is about optimal per techy specs on its 22" stand. I just don't LIKE the low stands though. It's the old form vs function debate. The HW buffet I like is 39".. probably a little too high for my 10' viewing distance. Arggggggggh.

The best compromise I could find is 35" x 72".. I love this chest too and like how the curves will soften the hard lines of the 42" tv. I am not sure how it will work with my other pieces but I like it more each time I look at it.

Parma? are you out there? What do you think?

• parma42
    15 years ago

Yes, but I've really got to tear myself away from "Precious" and brush my teeth, take a bath and get dressed.

Do you have a pic of your TV or the better still, the amount of space from the lowest part of its base to the bottom of the screen? That would make a difference on the height to the chest.

What's the story on your latest find?

• decordiva
    15 years ago

Demifloyd....love your room. Please post more photos of it and your home. Seems we have the same taste in colors and style.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You crack me up with your "precious"!

It is 6" from the tv base to the top. I am working (can't you tell hahahah) so can't really upload a pic right now. The tv is a panasonic viera 42".. all black.. link below.

The chest is French Heritage.. Louis XV 2 Door Chest. It is one of the more rustic pieces but I am hoping that will help pull things together. It wasn't one of my first picks but as I said, I love it more each time I look at it. (I slept on it to be sure I wasn't just off my rocker last night). 30" would probably be better but I haven't found anything yet. I am going to look at ballards, gumps and horchow in a little bit.

I am waiting for a call back with the cost (yes, I make my furniture sales people as crazy as I make you all)

Here is a link that might be useful: my tv

• parma42
    15 years ago

Back and squeaky clean!

Call me techno-stupid, but I've never figured out why these specs are given as a rule (which we follow), and there seem to be many contented people who watch a TV that is mounted over their fireplace or on a tall dresser in their bedroom.

I went to the FH website and looked at your piece. You weren't thinking of getting it with the gilt top were you? They also make a smaller size than the 72". Do you need one that large?

Do you have anything you can place the TV on for reference and then see what height would be comfortable to you?

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

uh.. I know you have been very subtlely suggesting that FH is excellent quality and an investment-- but still I wasn't prepared for a $12K price tag. OUCH. Now they are offering a pretty big discount on it-- but not enough for my single income budget. wahhhhhhhhhh. I feel sooo naive!

Hickory White is much more in my price range-- though the designer did say that FH has less expensive pieces. The bombe chest style added a lot to the price. I am going in to sit and meet with her and look at some designs and they'll try to direct me to something in my price range. At this minute, I am feeling like milk crates are in my budget hahahaha.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

uhoh, we were posting at the same time. The smaller size would drop the price.. but not likely enough to make it feasible. I need to reel in my search and tastes, I think.

I really don't have anything to try it on-- I go from 28-30" to 48". I might pop over to my sister's house though-- they have their tv in a similarly narrow room on a cabinet that I am guessing is 36". I just never watch tv when I am there.

You know.. so many people have their tvs over the fireplace. How can so many people be wrong? I think I can live with a little head tilt in order to have a nice looking wall. So, I guess maybe I am back to the HW buffet. At least now the 2400 price tag looks like a bargain!

• parma42
    15 years ago

Yowza, I got my FH dining room table for just under $3000 (on sale and with discount). Sorry, I wasn't trying to lead you down the path to bankruptcy. I've always found the price points between FH and HW to be in the same ballpark, however, HW offers substanial discounts on their retail prices.

That was a very large piece at 72" anyway, and I do love HW.

You'll find something perfect!

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

Funkyart, is there an El Paso Imports near you? They have a piece which nicely combines Mexican rustic and traditional lines, kind of similar to the pieces you've posted above (not the curved French provincial piece, the more straight-lined ones higher up). It's the Morelia sideboard/buffet. see if their website has it in the medium stain. I can't find it for you right now, but I was in their store a few days ago, and the saleslady found it for me. It's so pretty, and much more reasonably priced: $600 as opposed to $3K!

Here is a link that might be useful: El Paso Imports

• parma42
    15 years ago

Here's one from walkin's store. Pretty funky and it would save you $2,000.

I looked on Drexel-Heritage and they are so over-priced for what they offer.

Here is a link that might be useful: El Paso

• parma42
    15 years ago

Girl, you have good taste. You picked out just about the most expensive thing that FH makes.

I was just on Homeportfolio.com and they've made some great changes. Don't know how many furniture lines they are doing (looks like tomorrow's another wasted day...)but it looks like they've started to put all the retail prices for pieces, not just a few.

Now you can get a ballpark idea before you have to call the store.

I'll check later to see how many lines they are showcasing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Portfolio

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Walkin, that's a great store. Sadly none on the east coast. For those prices though, I could hop a plane and check them out. I didn't see the one you noted on their site but I saw a number of cool things-- that style could easily work with what I have though. I don't know where you are but another store I liked with similar style-- is tabletalk dot com. Dumb name but they carry the line of furniture my chest is from (and much cheaper than the "clearance" price I paid.

Parma, that is a really helpful link! It was really interesting to see that you really couldn't look at a piece and guess its relative price. I was also surprised to see that the msrp was a few thous less than what I was quoted today.. though I know a lot of companies just increased their prices. I actually sat here today and started to think "well, you just signed a new contract..." but I just can't justify 8K to sit the tv on.

They didn't list the HW items I have been looking at-- it's a very limited subset. That's ok, I am pretty clear on their pricing. I could get lost on that site but hopefully I'd find my way to a completely furnished room ;)

Thank you both-- I go through waves of disgust and giving up and your links got me back in the game.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I really must get a life. Actually, I have one but don't feel like starting on my master bedroom or living room.

BTW, have you made a decision about your bedding yet or are you just room jumping like I do?

What about an Art Deco kinda look?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bob Mackie

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ha.. we all have lives but spending hours laboring over furniture and color decisions is so much more interesting than grocery shopping, cleaning, and conference calls. ;)

I am room hopping. I am trying to stop but definitely am room hopping. My plan was to go room by room but when I made the rash, emotional, unplanned decision to splurge on the antique bed, I threw a wrench into the works. I also need to be working on my office.. but I am stalling and pretending it doesn't exist. :) I am still waiting for a few bedding samples/pillow shams to arrive before deciding on the bedding. I lost the ebay auction on the lyon bedding (which I am still considering). I really love the garden toile but I have given up any plans for a duvet cover made from it. I'll post pictures when I have all my samples. I have to tell you though-- I saw an ad in a magazine when I was at the hair salon last week. There was a BEAUTIFUL headboard (wesley allen, I think) very similar to my bed but a touch more rustic. It cost almost 2K less than my bed.. so I was sickened by the whole thing and refused to think about it for a few days. I would have preferred just a headboard.. another lesson in rash decisions. sigh.

I LOVE that console-- art deco is one style I usually steer away from. It feels so masculine to me-- masculine and pompous. But there is something very beautiful and feminine about the mackie piece. I have a secret love of Cher so Bob Mackie in my living room would be a subtle nod to her. I do think I want to keep that slightly rustic, worn look though (even if I do return the big a$$ chest).

I did see a 42" wide chest with doors with a very asian look. I am not sure if it was HW or HC.. it would give a different flavor to my room but I am ok with that. I feel like I have been all over the place in my choices but I have realized that I want a "world travelled" look but not as heavy or dark as "old world". I like interesting pieces with interesting lines and a gently loved and moved about look. I am not sure if that makes sense.. but the vision is clear in my head. I don't want a room that is too french or too asian or too cottagey but I love elements from each. I guess that fits in with "surround yourself with the things you love"

Now it is my turn to go get squeaky clean. I may be taking 3 tweens to see Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 today.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The asian chests I saw are hickory white..

this one is close to the same width of the tv (42", tv is 41")

this would fill the wall a little better (~62" wide)

I like the traditional but slightly odd styling of the buffet but I find the chest really interesting too despite its more simple design.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Parma, I came back to look at the bob mackie-- and darn it, it is only 29 w.

I finally fixed my psp program (it was corrupted) and I've been looking at pictures of my existing furniture and the wannabes next to each other. I am liking the chinoiserie buffet (the chest not so much). Not sure if I want the tv on it but I am liking it. I wonder if I'll get tired of it?

I am getting tired of looking, I know that much.

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

Funkyart, I have the same tv that you do so I thought these pics may help you with at least visualizing what the tv will look like on a stand. The tv is in my great room and it is ver y comfortable to watch it without straining.

Deb

• parma42
    15 years ago

Funky, the Bob Mackie is 47" wide, 29" was the interior. He also has a larger piece elsewhere on the site but I don't like it as well.

You can look at your room (or any room) two ways. Either get the whole picture in your mind and go from there or what I've ended up doing (and going slowly mad) which is just starting with one piece and having the room constantly morph from there, never knowing what the end product will be.

If you will have a piece of Chinoiserie, decide if you would be happy with one showcase piece (TV stand) or just an accent.

I'll be gone Friday and Saturday so if you find your heart's desire...don't think I'm ignoring you. :)

• bbstx
    15 years ago

If you want to put your component parts behind doors, it is not necessary to either keep the doors open or replace the center with glass. In our previous home (and here as soon as I can decide on a cabinet style), our components were in a bookcase. There is a gizmo you can buy that sits out and relays the remote signal to the hidden components. With the brand that we had, the gizmo was black, cone shaped and about 5" high.

Sorry to be so inelegant in my description, but I don't remember the brand, I don't remember what it is called, and the one we own is packed in storage right now. I'm sure someone at Best Buy or Fry's or whatever your big electronic store is can figure it out from the description.

• teacats
    15 years ago

Have you checked on your local Craigs List?? There MAY be listings for dining room furniture -- and a buffet cabinet that MIGHT work ...... even if you have to paint it in satin black (just a thought!!!!!!)

Jan ((who has a very embarassing old tiny TV in an old armoire ........ ))

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Parma, I obviously misread the specs on the bob mackie,sorry! You are right about the chinoiserie, I would prefer an accent piece and I really don't want the tv to be a visual focal point (though of course it will be because it IS the tv). You are also right that I am trying to take it on as a whole room and that is overwhelming to me. I am feeling pressure from lots of directions and it isn't helping me to think clearly. (ps.. are you going someplace fun?)

Deborahnj- thanks for the view of my tv on a higher stand. That helps. My big concern though is that my room is narrow and the viewing distance is about 10'.. still, I think we'll be fine.

bbstx - you crack me up because that's how I'd describe the doohickey too-- but I do know what you are talking about and I'll probably get the same thing (it's an infrared redirector or something?? maybe?). Thanks for the tip!

• anele_gw
    15 years ago

Slightly OT, but demi's screen got me thinking . . .since, as you said, you don't want the TV to be a focal point but it WILL be a focal point, why not make it pretty and really highlight it?

Our TV must be wall mounted (3 little ones here!), so a regular screen behind the TV won't work. My current plan is to have DH construct a panel like this one for behind the TV:

Then I am going to use fabric, a quilt, or wallpaper to make it into an art piece. If you have room for sconces, you could add those in, too (the cords will all be hidden by the panel). Our optimal TV height means the TV is low on the wall, so this will give the area height, color, and make it look like one unit.

Just a thought!

• abbycat9990
    15 years ago

We have the tv stand linked below. Our tv is rear projection, not a wall mount. This line of furniture also has a 36( tall piece.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amanda tv stand

• linley1
    15 years ago

Funkyart -

I just love chinoiserie style. Here's another one from Ethan Allen ($1329) - the Serpentine Console 64 " w x 19 " d x 35 " h.

{{!gwi}}

Also, a less expensive and slightly more country version of your original HW posting $646 from this website.

{{!gwi}}