SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gursg24

Bosch, KitchenAid, Electrolux or (?) wall oven

gursg24
10 years ago

My wife and I beginning the process of updating our 1993 kitchen with original wall oven and microwave. We very recently purchased a KitchenAid gas cooktop floor model (KFGU706VSS) at a really great price from a store closing sale. Seemed to get very good reviews and we like the 5 burners and looks of it.

We also have a 27" KA wall oven with microwave trim kit combo that we would like to replace at the same time and had originally thought to go with KA ovens as it would "match" the cooktop and the original reviews I found online were good. However, after looking further I found lots of complaints about the self clean blowout problem and complaints of fan noise. The couple of appliance dealers I talked to seemed to think these problems must be isolated and they sell a lot of them with no complaints from users. Has KA updated their ovens to resolve the self clean issue and reduce fan noise?

Based on those issues I have expanded our search and am including Electrolux and Bosch as well. Budget wise, I would prefer not to move into the Wolf/Thermador/Viking echelon.

In the Bosch world I am looking at the 500 or 800 series 27" single wall oven and adding the matching 27" speed oven (HMC87151U) for our microwave needs. The oven units seem to be well liked from what I can tell, but can't find much on the microwave.

For Electrolux I am considering the 27" wall oven & micro/convection oven combo (EW27MC65JS). I have read that many people stay away from the combos so if the microwave dies you don't have to replace the whole unit. That makes a lot of sense, but the integrated control panel and seamless appearance are attractive. In the case of Electrolux, they don't offer a 27" micro/convection built in that is part of the combo so I don't think I have a choice unless I wanted to mix brands, which I don't.

In the KA realm, looking at KEMS379BSS for the combo or KEBS179BSS plus KBHS179BSS.

If anyone has any direct knowledge of any of those models, I would welcome hearing your thoughts. Otherwise general comments on the latest offerings of the same generation in different size, etc. would be much appreciated as well. Lastly, if there are any other brands in the ballpark I should look at I am open, but want to purchase within the next few weeks.

Other comments on thoughts of the oven/microwave combo (also a bit cheaper) vs. separates and if I should avoid KA wall ovens also welcome.

Thanks for the time and help!

Comments (23)