SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noidlady

30' Mainstream Single Wall Oven Help, Please

noidlady
12 years ago

Brand new poster, although the reading I did on GW almost two years ago helped me learn enough to make minor bath remodel decisions we're happy with.

My current situation: at long last, we are in the position to replace our ancient came-with-the-house existing tiny Frigidare wall oven with a real 30" wall oven that my jellyroll & roasting pans can actually fit inside! The contractor & cabinet dudes were out & we're ready to go . . . except for The Oven decision. I make all the purchasing decisions for everything in this house, and I generally feel confident in making the decisions. Not so with The Oven: I've read myself in circles & just don't have any feel for brands & models after all the reading.

To further complicate things, we live in a relatively rural area. In looking through the forum, I'm seeing appliance brands I've never heard of, but I've not had to look at appliances in several years now. We definitely don't need a mondo expensive top-of-the line wall oven (although it's fun drooling) nor do I want a cheapo, but I want something that bakes & roasts reliably, and something that doesn't have "known issues" (a la KA) that hits a lot of people. An oven that doesn't fry itself out with self-cleaning is important to me because I use that feature at least monthly. A meat probe has a lot of appeal to me, as does convection because I'm beyond weary of having to roate everything at least four times for even baking.

I was keen on the Kenmore Elite until I started reading. Ditto for the KitchenAid -- my dh loved that one & was annoyed at the widespread problems I found by reading. Frigidare & JennAir are out for personal reasons.

Contractor loves their F&P, so maybe that's a possibility. Bosch & Electrolux Icon seem to be a mixed bag, as does everything, it seems to me. GE, too, seems to be a mixed bag -- along with F&P, Bosch, & Electrolux Icon, I've been looking at the Cafe & Monogram lines because I've found at least some positive comments. I'm not sure I can sell dh on the Monogram MSRP expense (assuming I should), and the nearest "showroom" is close to two hours away & isn't too cooperative about sharing price over the phone, but now that the snow is gone, it's a do-able drive.

If any of that resonates with anyone willing to share their two cents worth pros & cons on the above, I'd really appreciate it. I do understand that online reviews have a legitimate appeal to those who've had serious problems with this or that, but the relative lack of "I'm happy" reviews to 4 or 10 or whatever "It's a piece of crap" reviews has left me with my head spinning. I'll also be grateful for simple "I have X brand Y model & I'm happy with it."

TIA!

Comments (4)