SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chambleemama

200 TC 100% Cotton Muslin Sheets

chambleemama
15 years ago

I've read through the thread about problems with $300 high-thread-count sheets and all the longing for the cotton/poly sheets 'you could buy in the 80s'--those sheets were normally 180 thread count. I have muslin 'cot' sheets that my mother bought in the 1950s. They were probably 140 thread count, 100% cotton, and they could be washed in hot water, with bleach--AND they wore like iron. Muslin was the choice for children's beds and hospital beds, in those days. It started out a bit rough to the touch, but it softened over time. I'm planning to make pillowcases from mine. (BTW, I know when she bought them because she marked all her linens with the date--and sometimes with the store and the price she paid!)

The Vermont Country Store offers 200 TC muslin sheets. I'd never heard of muslin being a thread count higher than 140, so I bought a set. WONDERFUL. They're crisp/soft, not slick, and they have a great 'hand.'

I detest sateen, and percale is my idea of perfection because of its crispness and 100%cotton is my bottom line for its absorbency (think: hot flashes/night sweats). However, both my husband and I LOVE these muslin sheets.

The sheets will probably wear like cast iron, so I will follow Mama's lead and write in the corner where I bought them, the year, and what I paid.

I wash on HOT, with Charlie's Soap and no fabric softener. The clothesline will probably leave them less wrinkled than the dryer, but if you take them out when almost-dry and smooth them as you fold them, you will find they aren't as wrinkled.

Confession: I ironed the pillowcases with light starch, and I ironed the top of the top sheet as a treat to myself. They feel heavenly when I climb in at night. All my linens are white, so they match my duvet cover and extra pillowcases. It looks like a cloud I'm cuddling up in.

Anybody else out there love crisp, 100% cotton sheets?

Here is a link that might be useful: The Vermont Country Store

Comments (9)