SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jollyrd

homemade laundry detergent success

jollyrd
10 years ago

I made a dry mix, - 2 parts borax, 2 parts washing soda and 1 part fels-naphta soap.

I washed one batch of darks and one batch of whites. The first batch of darks did come out with minor white speckles on it -- probably because I did not wait long enough for the powder to dissolve before I put in the clothes. But it all came off during the drying.

The whites were socks, towels and kitchen rags, and I waited for the power to dissolve well. It is amazing how clean it all came out, and it smells very nice. The smell did concern me because the dry mix does not smell very promising or pleasant - must be the fels naphta soap. It looks like grated cheddar cheese! I might want to check the local herbs store to see if they have a natural lavender or orange soap -- to get me choice of flavors. But anyways, all the whites came out very clean, white, no nasty smell on the kitchen rags. I did not have to use Oxiclean or vinegar. That is good in my book since I always dread the socks stains.

I need to do the math to compare the cost per load.

I am storing the dry mix in the same type container I use for sugar and flour. But I will keep my eyes open at the thrift stores or goodwill for some more containers - maybe some old cute jar with 'laundry' on it?

Just wanted to share with all.

Comments (2)