SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arlingtonduplex

SubZero 550 Dilemma

arlingtonduplex
11 years ago

I am following up on this link because I have a similar issue regarding an 18 year old SubZero 550. I just acquired this unit and found that after moving it (inlcuding being on its side for a portion), the freezer no longer works. The refrigerator is working fine. It was left upright about 6 hours after the move before plugging in and the fridge cooled down but not the freezer. I then unplugged the unit again and left it overnight. Still no cooling in the freezer. An appliance repairman said that the freezer compressor is working but that the system appears to have lost all freon. Either it was damaged in the move and a leak resulted in the loss, or it was low to begin with and the move somehow caused the rest to go. Is it possible unplugging it again and allowing it to "settle" more would redistribute any freon? Is it worth it to add freon back to the system to see if it will work again? I was told this cost depends on how much freon (an unknown) but could be $600 and there's no guarantee. To find the leak would involve a new radiator (where there is some evidence of damage) and possibly the separate radiator in the freezer as well as freon for both the fridge and freezer once evacuated (I imagine even more $$). I was so excited to get this unit after reading how long they can last (and how good they are until then end) and don't want to give up. I would definitely appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Comments (4)