SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bickybee_gw

What size Clawfoot Tub is comfortable?

bickybee
14 years ago

We're remodeling our whole house so tub size is not a space issue.

Years ago I lived in places that had clawfoot tubs and loved them, so naturally I want a clawfoot for our remodeled master bath. They were all old tubs so I'm sure they were the "classic" clawfoot.

From what I can gather, the "classic" size for a clawfoot is 5' - 60 1/2" long, 30" wide and 24" tall. When I try them out now I wonder if they are too short. The originals do look short especially compared to all the showroom models I see. I am 5'6" tall. When I sit in one I feel pretty comfortable but certainly have to bend my knees quite a bit. However, it does feel like I need to rest my feet on the end of the tub to keep myself from sliding down too far. If I get a longer one, where I could stretch out my legs, would this be a problem?

I'm also water conscious here in California and find huge tubs appallingly excessive. I like to reuse things so the idea of getting an old tub and re-glazing it appeals to me. But with all the reproductions available offering a range of sizes and materials, I'm wondering if I'll be missing out on something if I go with a salvaged one.

All you clawfoot lovers out there, what did choose?

Comments (20)