SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnmari_gw

oval tub as comfortable as oblong? and tub deck width?

johnmari
16 years ago

So it turns out that acrylic is a far better plan than cast iron for the soaking tub in our new house because of the weight. It's going to be a tub/shower this time around because of lack of space. Wah. :-p :-) At least I know the trick of insulating the cavity beneath an acrylic tub to keep the water warm.

I have a few tubs in the running (all Kohlers, oddly enough) but unfortunately I can't find anywhere to give them the "butt test". There's no such animal hereabouts as the huge showrooms with dozens of tubs in all price ranges for sitting in that we see on tv; the few tubs you could sit in at the ones I've been to are all the ginormous, very expensive ones. Three of the tubs (Devonshire, Portrait, and Bancroft) have an oblong bathing well, while the fourth (Kohler 6036) is an oval. The main question on this subject: I've never had an oval tub, is it as comfortable as a conventional oblong type? I realize I'm not quite comparing apples to apples because the 6036 is 4" wider than the others, but I don't think I'm that far off. (While I have enough room for the Kohler Mariposa, I don't care at all for the looks of it for a Victorian-flavored ;-) bathroom.) And yes, I know those are all deep for a shower - I'll be putting grab bars on the end walls to ease getting in and out, but DH agrees that a good bath for me is a higher priority.

Also, the Bancroft, Portrait, and Devonshire have integral aprons; the 6036 does have an optional apron but it isn't very nice looking IMO. I read through the installation documents and didn't see any mention of a required deck width. What is the minimum width for a deck I can get away with?

Comments (5)