SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Under Staircase ''Fort'' for Kiddos

drjoann
14 years ago

Our lower level has plans for future expansion that includes a rec room w/ kitchenette and bedrooms w/ baths in anticipation of visits from DD's future family. I had always planned to do something cute with the area under the staircase to make it special for the kiddos. (I don't really need it for storage, so I can have some fun with it.)

At this point, I just want to make sure that the area gets framed so that we can turn it into a "fort" or secret hideaway or whatever, in the future. Here is that segment of the plan:

The door into the mechanical room opens from the future rec room. One thing I think we should do is make that a cased opening and move the actual door to the mechanical room to the back side of the staircase. Then, we should put a door at the wall that forms the highest part of the staircase as if we were putting in a closet.

Does the above make sense & is there anything else we should do? We haven't looked at this in detail with the builder, but he says he did something like this for his daughter in a previous house.

Thanks - Jo Ann

Comments (15)