SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pandaroux

New paint is peeling in newly renovated bathroom!

Jen K.
12 years ago

As part of my bathroom renovation, which was completed last week, the walls were freshly painted and in some places, the walls were skim-coated with joint compound before painting. Our bathroom is small and poorly ventilated and after a shower, you can see the moisture on the walls, in some places, there are rivulets. What I noticed today while wiping down the walls is that in some spots, the new paint is bubbling off! It could literally be rubbed off with your finger although once the bathroom dries off, the paint/walls are okay again (until the next shower). This is happening only where the walls were skim-coated and I know what is happening, the joint compound is getting soft from the moisture, causing the paint to loosen. Should something other than this joint compound (Sheetrock brand, premixed) be used in the bathroom given bathrooms naturally are wet places (although mine is especially so)? Or should I put on another coat or 2 of paint? We used Benjamin Moore Aura (matte finish), which is a quick dry paint and I just know that the workers did not apply it properly and probably one coat only instead of the two they were supposed to. Another thing is that no separate primer was used because Aura has primer in it, I do not know if this would make a difference, but I suspect the built in primer in Aura is not as good as a separate one.

Obviously, my bathroom has a ventilation issue and most importantly, the vent motor is getting fixed. But even when it is working, there is some moisture on the walls, which is normal (I think) in a bathroom..? Of course, I'm open to hearing ideas on improving ventilation, but notwithstanding, I think something needs to be done about the paint/drywall. Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)