SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goofyyno

Refrigerator confusion

goofyyno
13 years ago

I'm remodeling my kitchen and looking for a new refrigerator. I've researched a lot, read a lot and looked at some, but confusion reigns supreme. I thought I'd go through some of my thoughts hoping you would correct any errors and give any recommendations/suggestions.

I currently have a 36" SS Viking built-in, bottom freezer. I don't want another due to many problems. I like the wide refrige space at eye level and the industrial look. We must buy a lot of food (esp fruits/veggies) because I have a hard time fitting it all in. We overfill the bins and they have broken off the track. I dislike the tub freezer.

So, I've decided we need more refrige space. Freezer is less important as we have a chest freezer. I don't have a lot of storage space so was originally trying to minimize the size of the refrigerator.

I liked the idea of 48" for both so I'm looking at the columns. But lately found out that a full 60" may be cheaper. Here are some of what I�ve found:

Thermador: has the 30" refrigerator and 18: Freezer. I don't like the interior look need as much as the Gag counterpart, but the shelves at least have a boarder.

Gaggenau: I love and really want the SS interior. I like how sturdy it appears. I don't like the glass shelves which look easy to chip/break. I also wonder if it bothers me that they are not "spill proof".

Miele: the sales person was really pushing this one. I like the lighting. Reputation seems like one of the best. Not sure if worth the price premium.

Northland: more room inside, I originally thought the price would be lower but for a similar configuration, seems very similar. This would put me back at gag. But then I saw the 48" which was weighted more on the refrigerator side (20.5 cft/12). This may work. I'd give up some width, but would be much cheaper. I have seen some worries about the noise, but my repair man said he thought these were the best built. I like the SS interior. And I really like that these are not common.

Then I saw the price of the 60" was similar. It may be worth losing some cabinet space to assure enough food storage space.

Sub-zero- I know these are probably the gold standard, but I don't really like the looks on the interior, or exterior (the handles are too skinny and no SS interior). I also think they are too common. For the price I would like something that I'd be proud of.

Liebherr: I didn't like the size options until I opened up to the 60" options. I've probably done the least amount of research on these. I'm not sure if I can get a SS interior. I don't think I like all the exterior drawers. For much less money I can get the northland.

So I guess I'm really looking at the 60" Northland or if money permits the 30" & 18" Gaggenau.

Am I missing something? What should I do?

Comments (9)