SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krissie55

Tips when hiring house cleaners

krissie55
12 years ago

From my personal experience with house cleaners I advise making a list in DETAIL as to what you expect them to do each visit. Make two copies, one for them and one for you, so there will be no question what you hired them to do. Do not assume they will automatically do "all things" that are necessary to keep a home clean. Make sure they understand there will be no rotation as to what they clean this time or the next time unless you specify that in the beginning.

Hire house cleaners by the job rather than by the hour. Clean your house yourself and see how long it takes to do a good job, then pay accordingly. They have the privilege of accepting or rejecting the job you have to offer, not the other way around. You are the employer and they are the employee.

Be sure they understand your "definition" of clean. My definition is that dust will be "removed", not scattered or left to become aged (brown).

Be sure they understand you expect them to use "clean" cloths to clean appliances in the kitchen and not cloths or other items used on other parts of the house or other clients houses. Also that using one rag all over the house with cleaner is not cleaning, it is just spreading dirt from one spot to the other.

House cleaners have a tendency to do a great job the first few months and then slack off. They will appear to be working, but, look close, they may not be actually cleaning the surfaces and a white glove test will fail.

Question them as to what tools and/or cleaners they will be using in the process of cleaning. You can supply the cleaners of your choice or use what the house cleaners bring.

If you want the floors mopped and rinsed, be sure and tell them or they will leave dirty water on the floors and soon you will have dirty grout on tile floors. A wet mop used on all floors throughout the house without being rinsed off and on will only spread dirt, not clean.

Perhaps this will be of help to others, I learned the hard way. I now have personally cleaned my home back to my definition of "clean" and it feels so great!

Comments (18)