SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trubee_gw

When the floors fail.........HELP!

trubee
16 years ago

This forum really helped me as we were building our custom home (finished about a year ago). So while I posted this on the flooring forum too, I thought I might get some help here.

We built a contemporary home and chose acid stained concrete for the flooring. For the first few months it was gorgeous. And then it started to PEEL. This freaked us out because this is a second home and we aren't even there much. Our GC does not return phone calls or email but our flooring sub is a decent guy (part of a large co in this area) and he came out Friday. I had sent him photos and he discussed them with the manufacturer of the stain system and learned he had missed a step (unbeknownst to us he was using a new product on our floors - not the same one we'd seen when we looked at his work). Apparently this new system required three processes - stain, bond, seal. He missed "bond" which explains why new floors, seldom walked on, are peeling. He thinks our only solution is to tile over the concrete because he is concerned that stripping and redoing the floors correctly will be problematic because of too many chemicals. Our sub has already spoken to his insurance co.

This pains us to no end as our floors are GORGEOUS except for the peeling. And we have about 4000 sq ft of floor space impacted by this error.

Has anyone run across this? Is tile our only option? Or is that the easy way out because stripping and redoing 4,000 sq ft is a ton of work. I have no clue what is true and have no GC to provide advice.

And if we tile over, how do we handle ensuring that the wood stairs in two places and the wood floor in the dining room stay flush with the tile?

My husband feels this is a huge job that is going to require not only a floor solution but removing moldings, dealing with the hardwood floors and stairs, repainting etc. This sounds like we'll need a contractor to oversee the work - correct? And our guy has disappeared (he also has a leaking pool to fix) I could cry. Any ideas?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus