SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pitpat_gw

doorknob dilemma

pitpat
13 years ago

So, almost 4 years after remodeling our main bathroom, we are finally finishing the one remaining problem - the door. All the wood in our house is blond (NOT my favorite), but the bathroom vanity is dark cherry, so we are staining the door and door frame dark cherry. And, of all things, I am getting totally hung up on the doorknob. I just can't decide what color and style would look best. When we planned the bathroom, we picked out colors we liked and items we liked and didn't bother to consider decorating style. So what we ended up with is a rustic (glass tiles and fixtures) and art deco (lighting) bathroom. Lol! Tiles and walls are light blue and sage, and fixtures are oil rubbed bronze (see link below). The knobs on the vanity are white porcelain, with a tiny metal detail. It's so tiny that I can't even be sure of the finish, but it looks like a rose copper/french antique/antique brass sort of color. I have pretty much ruled out oil rubbed bronze for the doorknob, as I don't like how that looks up against the dark cherry. I'm thinking of trying to match the vanity knob finish. I think that would be a nice detail. Yes? I was originally going to do a white porcelain knob, but now I read that that is considered victorian? Really? Does it matter? I can see it being considered that if it arose during the victorian period, but a plain white porcelain doorknob seems so simple. What do you think? If not porcelain, then what about a simple glass knob? Or is that some other period? What about white milk glass? I don't really want to do a metal knob as I am concerned about getting just the right finish.

That brings me to the next issue - doorplate OR rosette and keyhole escutcheon? Not sure if the latter will actually be an option b/c it depends on how the door looks when it's done (ie whether the current holes can be filled, sanded, and stained enough to be unremarkable). I don't really want a doorplate for the same reason I don't want a metal doorknob - I'm worried about the finish. I think less metal on this door is better. Emtek makes a white porcelain knob with porcelain rosette, which has a narrow metal band in antique brass. If we got that, should the keyhole escutcheon be in antique brass? Or porcelain? If porcelain, it would probably have to be a salvaged escutcheon, so the white may not be so white anymore. If antique brass, do I go for a plain and simple escutcheon? Or art deco? Or a pretty one with some design? If we do have to do a doorplate, do I go with a completely plain one ("New York?")? Or could I get away with the slightly curvy arts and crafts doorplate (house is a 95-year-old American 4-square)? Or go for a subtle art deco plate? Rustic plate?

Halp!! Please advise me on knob (porcelain, glass, or metal) and style! TIA!!

Here is a link that might be useful: bathroom

Comments (2)