SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christymck

Two Ovens: Combi Steam + Electric OR Gas?

ChristyMcK
10 years ago

I am planning to get a 24" combi steam oven and a Lacanche range with one oven. The combi steam ovens I'm looking at (Miele, Wolf) max out temp at 450F. In addition to other feastures, the Miele can be a non-convection oven and a convection oven in addition to having a steam function. It also has a broiler but maxes out at 437F. We bake bread and roast a lot of meat and veggies and make braises but don't do much in the way of pastries or souffles which makes me think gas, but the gas oven on the Lacanche doesn't have a broiler.

So for the Lacanche oven, which will be our 'big' oven, would you go with
Door #1: an electric oven that goes to 500F, has a convection feature and a broiler that goes to about 700F, or
Door #2: A gas oven that goes to 550 with no convection and no broiler?

The appeal of gas is that we don't bake that much and I like the higher temp of 550F. The downside is not having a high heat broiler or convection. The appeal of electric is that it has a broiler and a convection feature so may provide more even heat when used. The downside of electric is that I'm not sure the drier heat is preferred given our cooking style. (Does anyone ever put a bowl of water in electric ovens to mimic gas ovens?) There is no difference in cost.

The steam oven can add moisture but I'm not sure it can mimic a gas oven - it should however function as a simple convection or electric oven. Thoughts? Which would you chose and why?

Comments (11)