SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krebstar_gw

Electric \Convection Ovens and Baking

krebstar
14 years ago

Hello, I have been reading the forums for a while, gathering as much information as I could. After a week or two I feel like I know a bunch of you.

I am in the planning stages of a kitchen reno. I am having difficulties deciding on an oven.

What I have now: 1960ish Caloric gas wall oven, 24".

What I don't like about it: It's small. I don't think I could make a turkey in it. From what I've learned here gas ovens have hot spots. I have to rotate and move my pans around and even so, some cookies bake at different rates. I'm pretty used to it and it doesn't bother me that much. For the most part, the quality of what comes out doesn't suffer, but I guess it could be better.

What I use it for: I bake quite often, around 3 - 5 times a week. I bake cookies, pastries, cake, and pies- anything dessert. I plan on making bread in the future. I use it for standard savory dishes: meatloaf, chicken, potatoes, baked pasta, ham, etc. If it was bigger, I might attempt larger cuts of meat.

I've mostly used gas ovens to cook. I had an electric non-convection oven in an apartment once, but back then it was hardly used.

So my first instinct when talking to a kitchen designer was to say that I wanted a gas wall oven, 30", maybe a double oven. I also wanted simple controls like a temperature setting and that's it. She told me that might be hard. I found Bluestar, American Range, and Viking. I liked that you could fit a full sheet pan in the Bluestar. I liked the simple controls. When I talked to a salesman, he told me that people who are buying those gas ovens want the infrared broiling element to get restaurant quality broiling. Not the reason I was looking at them.

It seems that other gas wall ovens are 24" replacements for what I have, so I started looking at electric, but I am confused:

Does anyone using convection ovens use parchment paper to bake? I use it all the time. Obviously, air flow in the oven would cause the paper to move, distorting the item being baked. Do you stick the parchment paper down to the pan with whatever you are making? I've heard some convection ovens are so powerful that small pate a choux can actually blow around in there.

Or is it that bakers use the regular bake mode for baking and the convection for savory dishes? I've seen some bakers on the forum say how electric ovens provide such even heat for baking, but is this only when some form of convection is used?

I've read that electric heat is dryer than gas heat, which could be a problem for cake batter. I was told that you could fix this by putting a pan of water in the oven when you bake. Are people out there buying $3000+ ovens and doing this every time they make a cake? It doesn't seem right.

I am wondering if changing from gas to electric will cause some of the fundamental ways I bake to change. I understand that baking temperatures and baking time may differ, but that's not what this post is about.

Any help would be appreciated, and thank you if you read this far into my long-winded post!

Comments (5)