SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adamdoc_gw

New Home Kitchen Outfitting...DCS, Samsung vs. Liebherr, oy...

Adam F
11 years ago

Hi all - I have been obsessively reading these forums for 6 months as we've been waiting for permits on our new home. We just broke ground. Our dillemas are these:

1. 48" range with single wall oven/micro, dual fuel or all gas?

We cook a lot, and have been getting more adventurous. I tend to use the top more, and my wife tends to use the ovens. We had initially considered Wolf and DCS, but after reading forums here and going to some showrooms, DCS seems to be just as solid as Wolf, with a more straightforward oven, better racks, and all without the blue ceramic cracking issue (for about $4K less). Today a salesman threw us a little off track by showing us a great looking Dacor (I like the large grates better than DCS - not sure how the DCS will handle our huge AC 6qt saute pan, but I'm sure it'll be fine), but seems like DCS is more solid, and has better simmer options. We just can't decide now about all gas or dual fuel. Many here seem like they'd fight to the death for their choice, but I'd love to hear experiences of any DCS owners. The rep today made it sound like all pro chefs use gas, and Consumer Reports recently claimed that dual fuel isn't all it's cracked up to be. On the other hand, electric convection for baking seems ideal. Any input is welcome.

2. Fridge

Seems like features are mostly throwaways, except two major points, from what I've gathered... Through door ice and water are repair prone, and dual evaporators/condensors are what make a premium fridge premium... So, since Subzero is out of our range, we are thinking about Samsung vs. Liebherr. Liebherr is being pushed hard by our new rep, but Samsung seems to have the same perks, for half the price (and very highly rated by CR and JDPower). The flip side is that Liebherr is built in, seems to be considered on par with SZ, and is only a few grand more than Samsung (as opposed to 6-7K more). Every rep we've met who doesn't sell Samsung says they are crap, and the very techy models seem to have issues, but does anyone here feel like a simple water inside door, dual evap/cond Samsung is that much more problem prone than Liebherr? We want a top fridge, bottom freezer, and we don't care about FD or single.

3. 2 Dishwashers

We need 2. I am thinking Miele Futura Dimension (Plus is just marginally quieter from what I understand, and we don't need the Diamond's wifi capability). If we get the DCS above, we get free dish drawers as a second machine. Seems like a good deal, unless folks think they're junk. Rep today also brought up ASKO, but I think Miele wins. Seems to be the consensus here.

I think that's it for now... If this is way too much for one post, yell at me.

Comments (21)