SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dancingqueengw

Could I be my own GC?

dancingqueengw
12 years ago

We have had four contractors come in to look at our Master Bedroom/Bath remodel. We have bids back from the two I like best but they are in the $40k range and that does not even include new carpet in the bedroom or closet. I'm thinking that perhaps I could skip a GC and do that myself. I do have an excellent electrician, tile guy and plumber who have done work on our home and I trust them. We could not DYI as I don't know how and my husband has significant health issues and no expertise. Do I just need to go for a GC and cut my material selections to the bone? The allowances from one bid are really low and the 2nd guy said that the labor would be about $25,000 and I could obtain my own materials. We would get rid of the popcorn ceilings, tear out and replace the tile floor with new heated tile, tear out and expand the shower by 4 inches, take out the old whirlpool tub and replace with freestanding, replace the toilet and replace one cabinet and both sinks. Maybe I just have sticker shock?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz