SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mpsmps_gw

You've talked me into the induction...

14 years ago

...now please help me find cookware. Do you know anything about this: Provence Blue ? Will it work with the induction cooktop?

Thanks!

Comments (23)

• 14 years ago

There is a thread or two on Induction Cookware. Too much to re-type. Use the search at the bottom of the screen.

I just bought a bunch of Circulon Infitnite non-stick, and while we don't have our cooktop yet I can't wait. I may not have bought this if it wasn't for the great sale price you can get this on some Fridays on Amazon. About $100 off the normal Amazon price.

I also bought a few more pieces direct from Circulon. They have a few really good deals there. Anyway the griddle arrived bent due to poor packaging. I called today and they are sending a replacement free of charge and do not even want the damaged one back. No questions asked. Very nice and friendly customer service.

If I were looking for SS clad I would have bought the Tramontina clad... best deal out there.

Search is your friend

• 14 years ago

It looks like it would but I would call up the distributor to make sure. Most of the time mfgrs. make a point of induction capability in their ad for the product.

They look very pretty but it has been my experience that finding ANY grill pans for induction cooktops is most challenging. I am looking at Green Pan cookware. They make several induction capable cookware collections. In two or three of their induction cookware collections, the grill pan is specifically marked as being NOT induction friendly. Because of that, I would take the time and call to make sure. I am amazed at how hard it is to find an induction capable, eco-nonstick grill pan. I live in the SF Bay Area and between us being known for being eco and food oriented, you would think it would be easy to find such an item. If anyone knows of such an item and wok too, please let me know. At this point, we are considering cast iron even tho it will be hard for me to lift it. TIA!

• Related Discussions

LOOK What You've All Done to Me!!!!!

Q

Comments (24)
    WOW! Thanks for the kudos everyone!!! I went crazy and did all this so far in 3days! (17hrs of work), still a lot to go but have discovered mulch is my best friend!!! Kirk: I have 2 wheel barrows!LOL! Blue thing is a totem made from candle holders... TMG: Thanks for the Slow complement!LOL! hee hee Marti: That bed shape was here when I bought the place, but I decided to mulch around it to save from pulling grass where the lawnmower couldn't reach and I think it's a bonus that it enhanced the bed shape!! Lellie: Those fish and face will go on some 1/2 fencing that still need to be put in the garden beds... Anyhoo: some more pics too! Yoda the fungus man!! plant stand, two light globes mosaiced skunk: Peppy purple totem water feature blue theme two lil' fishies feather rock froggy love hens and chicks
    ...See More

Okay Viking, you've got me going now...

Q

Comments (10)
    Oh floral paint... I have a (pro) florist friend who is BONKERS for floral paint. At least he was during school when he had unlimited access to it! The staff at the school still talk about it! Does it lose that beautiful flowy appearance when you use paint on it? I love making wreathes with the leaf stalks, and it would be great to incorporate the blooms as well! I planted little thumb sized clumps three years ago and now they're 2 feet across and the tallest blooms are about 8 feet tall! I'm in love with that grass, can't wait to see it get BIGGER! Thanks! For both the inspiration and ideas!
    ...See More

Induction cooktops-

Q

Comments (74)
    The current rigid, cruel induction is a Bosch, but I'm pretty sure the last one was a Siemens. I'm in Germany, so these are not the models intended for export. Retribution is swift, without mercy, or warning--well, you get warned but your margin of error is about 30 seconds. Tonight, 30-40 minutes after it's been turned off, I'm cleaning up and I get the bad, bad, "E". I was sure I could get that last spot before it threw a hissy fit. Nope, the entire cooktop locked (big red lock lights up just in case you are confused) and I know from previous experience that I must wait 5 minutes to unlock it. Not a disaster post dinner, but during cooking prep--I'm about to take a sledge hammer to the cantankerous wench. I'm glad to know that the export models will at least let you pick a lid up before you get punished.
    ...See More

You've (Rightfully) Talked Me Out of This Sink, Now What?

Q

Comments (3)
    A Shaw's sink (30 or 36") sounds great to me. If you want unique, I wouldn't do marble counters either. Ten years ago, they were not common here, but I sure wouldn't call them unique now. For most of us, unique comes in the combinations of things and the details we chose -- not the individual items we use, but how we put them together.
    ...See More
  • 14 years ago

Thanks. I really think these pans are pretty, but I know that shouldn't be the only factor in my decision!
    Texas, I'll search some more for cookware threads. The Circulon does look nice and I'll check on Friday for Amazon deals.
    Earthpal, I asked a dealer selling the Provence Blue on Ebay and he said it was enamel on steel and induction ready, but it probably would be a good idea to check with another distributor as well. The Green Pans look interesting--I've never heard of them but will certainly look into them.

• 14 years ago

Induction-ready stainless cookware is available now, almost everywhere, from almost any manufacturer. It's 2010 now.

Here is an example: Ikea
    Their prices range from $10 and up.
    Type induction into the IKEA site search when you are on their site.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=induction+cookware

Here is a link that might be useful: induction cookware, local search on ikea site

• 14 years ago

mpsmps: Which induction cooktop did you buy?

• 14 years ago

I bought a set of the Circulon Infinite for non-stick (my husband is a non-stick kind of guy), and then another SS set of the Henckel International Clad. I like both of them -- I really like the handles on the Henckels. I'm not crazy about the lids of either, but it's not a deal breaker. I used my credit card points for both, so was able to save a good chunk of change there.

Good luck! I love my GE Induction Range!

• 14 years ago

I have had my induction range since last Thanksgiving. My range came with a very nice Kenmore 10" non-stick skillet. I also have a 12" non-stick All-Clad skillet that I like but it was very expensive.

I have stockpots from Ikea and another piece that is Farberware.

Lastly, I just bought a cast iron grill pan. I have only used it once to cook chicken. It was slow to heat up (which I hear is typical of cast iron) but kept a steady, even heat really well on the induction burner.

You should have no problem finding cookware you like. Try mix and matching from different manufacturers.

• 14 years ago

Davidro1, Thanks for the link to Ikea and its cookware. My DH hates going there because of the parking and then the hours that I can spend in there going ooh isn't that interesting and more! :)) I have been reluctant to do the cast iron because of lifting it and the slow heat up problem that stirfryi mentions. Alas, I might have to compromise on that while the mfgrs. catch up to consumer demands.

I am reluctant to buy anything that is non-stick that is teflon or related chemical coating. I crank up the grill pan's heat which studies have shown is not the best for the pan, but that is the way I cook. Which is another reason why I love the induction... Speed without the flames!! LOL!

• 14 years ago

earth pal, De Buyer carbone plus all steel frypans are seasoned and then become more non-stick with each use. If you search eurodib and de buyer some inexpensive suppliers come up.

The question with a grillpan involves straddling two zones because of its size. Some cooktops have an area for that and some as yet unavailable in the US are zoneless. Aeg/Electrolux is supplying those units in the UK and Germany. Instead of circle zone markings it has crosses. If a pan covers one or more crosses the controller for that area can be used.

Here is a link that might be useful: De Buyer pdf catalog

• 14 years ago

I've read some not so flattering reviews of the Green Pans.

If PTFE and other coatings are a concern I'd suggest SS clad cookware. I have read also that some people are now concerend that the nickel content in 18/10 SS is leaching into thier food. It is always something.

Aluminum is toxic to humans. This is why aluminum cookware is anodized (which is bacially oxidized) to seal the surface. You wouldn't want to cook in a pure aluminum pan. In this case the PTFE is a protective layer on top of the AL. ;-)

If the PTFE begins to break down at 500F then you are at the temp that burns food and breaks down cooking oils. Green Pans say thier pans or good up to 800F but no cooking is done at this temp.

Griddles for induction are few and far between. There is a 12" circular griddle in the Circulon Infinite line but it is PTFE coated. Vollrath makes a square griddle that is 18/10 on the outside and 18/0 on the inside and AL core. It looks teflon coated though.

Berndes's Coquere line has an induction wok but again... non-stick.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vollrath Griddle

• 14 years ago

I forgot Scanpan. Thier CTX line is induction capable and has a non PTFE non-stick treatment. They also have a wok... but it is a little pricey.... for me anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scanpan CTX

• 14 years ago

I have cast iron, demeyere, le creuset (cast iron), and a scanpan nonstick frypan.
    The scanpan is the one pan that creates a loud harmonic when used. I like it as it is non stick, but compared to the le creuset or demeyere, or even my old cast iron frypan it isn't as quiet. I love the le creuset and demeyere cookware - quite pricey. You don't need a set of anything. Just buy a few individual pieces. The induction scan pan wasn't cheap either....

• 14 years ago

Thank you everyone!

The DeBuyer looked interesting on a quick skim and I will need to look at that more closely. The Vollrath Griddle I believe has the PTFE non-stick. Scanpan is halfway there but I am hoping for both chemicals to be not be present. So far I have yet to see an anodized pan that works on induction. We have a Green Pan small fry pan and their covered saute pan and have been very pleased so far with both. Stainless is a possibility but I am concerned about cleanup and hot spots. I agree there is no perfect pan but I am still looking!

And I wish the zoneless induction were available here but they aren't yet!! I can see some of the larger griddles needing two burners, so that is why we are looking for a grill pan in addition to the weight issue.

But did we ever get an answer to our OP's original question regarding her possible cookware being induction friendly??

• 14 years ago

WOW! Thanks so much for all the responses! Many of these are new to me so I'll have to take some time and sift through all this information.
    Lucypwd, the noise is one of the things that really concerns me. How loud is it? Is it a hum, screeching, clicking? Does it drive you crazy?!
    Earth_pal, I know what you mean about Ikea. There's so much cool stuff there it takes forever to get out!
    Weiss528i, I haven't bought the cooktop yet, but I think I'll get the GE Profile 30". Reviews seem to be pretty good, and since we're in a small town, I need something we can get repaired locally.
    You all have been such a help with my kitchen remodel-- I haven't had to post much because I've found most answers just searching this forum. Thanks again.

• 14 years ago

As a parrot-owner, I am very leary of any non-stick pans containing PTFE, which can be lethal to birds when overheated. I think I've tried every "green" non-stick pan on the market in the past 2 years.

First of all, "green" can mean anything...PFOA-free, PTFE-free, the packaging is made from recycled paper, whatever gimmick the manufacturer wants to use to get your attention. Buyer beware!

I bought a set of the original "Green Pans" with the "Thermolon" non-stick coating. They lasted a few weeks before the coating bubbled up and became completely non-non-stick. Waste of money.

The best PTFE-free pans I've found are the ceramic-coated Cuisinart pans which come in either stainless steel or hard-anodized. I've had both lines for about a year and they've held up well. Unfortunately, neither line works with induction, so I'm back to the drawing board.

I've yet to find an induction-compatible, PTFE-free, non-stick line of cookware. (The ScanPan CTX mentioned above does contain PTFE.) If anyone has found any, I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scanpan's Green-Tek coating

• 14 years ago

Warmfridge,

I agree with you regarding how manufacturers are using green as a gimmick. My DH can vouch for my seeing thru the Greenwashing that is all too common. I understand that when Green Pan came out it had lots of problems but I will keep you informed of our progress. It is really frustrating how many lines they have but so few are available here in the US.

MPSMps, what did you find out regarding your cookware set? I agree with Lucy in that you don't have to have a set of something tho it does help with finding a matching lid!

• 14 years ago

All I've found so far is from an Ebay dealer, who said it was enamel on steel and was induction ready. I'm not really tied to that set, I just love anything blue!
    Is there any problem with the enamel on the glass top? I saw that with electric glasstops, the enamel can fuse to the top if it gets too hot. Is that accurate or does it apply to induction?

• 14 years ago

De Buyer is a 180 year old french cookware manufacturer. The carbonne plus line of pans is 2.5-3mm thick and heavy duty. These are pure french restaurant quality and can handle the highest heat levels and go right to the sink for a rinse while hot with one drop of soap if needed. They will not warp. They will be as non-stick or more than teflon without any chemicals.
    I like the pans with cast iron handles. 5910.28 is 11x1.5" and 4.6lbs. 5910.32 is 12.5" and 6.6lbs. 5910.24 is 9.5" and 3lbs. 5120.26 is 10x3/4" crepe pan and 3lbs. 5120.22 is 8.75" crepe and 2lbs. The crepes have steel handles. I'm looking for good pricing.

• 14 years ago

There is always good old Lodge enamel

Here is a link that might be useful: Lodge

• 14 years ago

Regarding the noise. I have a DIVA 36" 5 burner.
    Noises you hear:
    On each burner, at the lowest settings 1 or 2 you hear a soft clicking as the zone cycles on/off - not annoying

On each zone you hear the cooling fan - not annoying, but definitely audible

On one of my zones at the highest setting ,12, (think boiling water), I hear a hum - slightly annoying such that I don't use that zone for a high setting unless forced to do so - not really a big deal

All other zones - slight hum - barely audible - not annoying at all EXCEPT with the scan pan which sounds louder

14 yo daughter can hear a hum with all zones on high - slightly bothersome - she complains about my exhaust fan as well.

In general I think the induction is as quiet or quieter than the sound of gas.

• 14 years ago

INDUCTION Q:

As I compare another electric glass top to an induction, what kind of time differences do you notice?

I would be replacing a 15 year+ KA glass top convection range that takes about 5 minute to preheat a cast iron skillet on medium or a Simply Calphalon skillet on medium. I have found the warm up is long, but then these types of pans really hold their heat, so I don't use high.

Some have told me a newer glass top radiant range will be so much faster, I'll simply be impressed with that improvement and don't need to go the induction route. Is that true?

Thanks everyone! There were a lot of posts on the Consumer Reports blog about pots & pans for induction stoves, but no suggestions I really haven't seen here.

• 14 years ago

Julie, I have a 9 year old radiant elec*tric glasstop range, and I recently bought a portable induction unit just to test out the technology. There is no comparison. A skillet will heat to medium in less than a minute. Water boils in under 2 minutes. The temperature is much more responsive and easier to regulate. While a newer radiant range may be faster than your old one, there is no comparison to induction.

• 14 years ago

Warmfridge,

Thanks for the specifics. My tea-loving son wouldn't be able to shower while he waits for his tea kettle to whistle!

Julie