SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
guest123_gw

How to Convince Somone of Need to Clean

guest123
15 years ago

Hi,

I need some advice about how to convince someone that they need to do a better job of cleaning their home, in the interest of their own health and the long-term value (and safety) of the home. It's an older person (almost 60) who travels regularly for work, but unfortunately over almost three decades the home has become extremely cluttered, with spider webs likely across the ceilings in every room, with decent but certainly not the best lighting, with oscillating levels of humidty that need to be addressed, and with a decluttering and deep cleaning of the entire place needed, not to mention sensible things like water filters on the taps and shower head, etc.

The other day I cleaned the main hallway - it's a very nice older bungalow with a finished basement - of spider webs along the ceiling and cleaned the entire surface of the ceiling, walls, floors, and lights with a natural cleaning mixture. There are a lot of traditional cleaners sitting around the home (from years past) which give off very mild but cumulatively harmful fumes, so I am using all natural cleaners for everything.

The problem is the homeowner, a relative, does not appreciate the need to do any of these things and does not appreciate the cleaning when I do it. Every idea I raise from checking the humidity level (which seems too high) to changing the lightbulbs to decluttering is met with very strong resistance, wihch is understandable, but the fact is these things really do need to be addressed, sooner rather than later. I'm not great at convincing folks to do something - we all want to do what we want to do, no doubt, and that includes yours truly - but I hate to see someone end up sick or worse several months or only a few years down the line because they failed to handle some very simple things and get into a routine of cleaning regularly.

As a person gets older, my sense is that some of the things that a young person can handle without health consequences is less true for someone who is older, and I've already had one elder relative pass away due, in part, to circumstances where the home was cluterred and I've seen a former client (I'm a lawyer) pass away because she did not care for her home at all.

How do you convince someone of the need to do this? And when I just do it anyway, the response is so negative that it's hard to continue doing it for them.

Thanks.

Comments (14)