SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dinajo_gw

Venting Confusion... please help!

dinajo
15 years ago

We are in the middle of a remodel and found out that we cannot use an 18" high vent hood as planned because of the way the ductwork runs.. . we replaced an OTR microwave that vented outside through a soffit. The range sits on a wall that backs up to our dining room (interior wall). We removed the soffit so that we could use 36" hi cabinets with crown all the way to the ceiling (8'). Because of the location of the outside vent, the installer cut out a couple of cabinets to run the duct through. We clearly can't use the 18" hi hood with this venting, so will get a shorter venthood (somewhere between 9-12") and use a cabinet turned on its side (12" or 15") above it to run the duct through and elbow it to the hood on top. Does this make sense and what do folks recommend for a hood? The range is a GE Cafe electric smoothtop so I know we don't need huge power. I am concerned about the 6" duct, the elbow in the duct, and noise. I have looked at Kobe, Independent, and Zephyr(around 400-600cfm), but I believe that Independent require a 7" duct and Kobe suggests 2' of straight duct before an elbow... we don't have that much height! Please help with suggestions...

Thanks.

Comments (3)