SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
panchoandlefty_gw

ventilation/remote blower--where does it go? options?

panchoandlefty
15 years ago

I'm feeling like an idiot. I totally don't get the ventilation system we are about to replace. I think I am making early design choices that won't work.

Basically, we currently have an OLD Gaggenau downdraft which is installed on either side of a cook-top and electric grill.

As we gut/re-do the kitchen, I want to pull out the existing ventilation system, which doesn't work very well and replace it with something with more CFU. I was looking at Electrolux/Broan pop-ups.

DH uses the electric grill OFTEN so something with some power was a big thing to me.

Problem is the remote blower... I thought all the systems were like my Gagg, which is fully contained in the kitchen. There is a motor which sits in a cabinet (with all the vents) beneth the unit which I've always called the blower.

I guess I wasn't getting that the more powerful units required a blower outside the house... maybe that is stupid, but I have never done this before.

My house is a 3 story split level, built into a hill (6 levels). The kitchen is in the middle and the current vent runs under the floor and exhausts between the 1st and 2nd floors. There is no way to run the vent to the ground (window in the way).

Am I correct that the larger units with "remote blowers" need a component installed outside at the end of the vent?

What are my options if this isn't possible? Can't do the roof.

I wasn't looking at the newer, telescoping/swivelling Gagg because, while nifty, it looks like the kind of thing we'd manage to break in short order. Plus, I thought I could get twice the power at half the price. Maybe not.

Anyone been there?

Stephanie

Comment (1)