SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carnivore

GE Cafe range - gas / dual-fuel issues

carnivore
12 years ago

I've pretty much decided to get the newest 30-inch GE Cafe range with the 20k burner but I'm on the fence about All-Gas CGS985SETSS vs the Dual Fuel C2S985SETSS. It's not just due to the usual reasons, though.

I'm leaning toward the AG version for the broiling performance of gas, but there seem to be many negative reports about the amount of fan noise which some reviewers have even called unbearable. Some state that the roar is much louder than other convection ovens and that it runs continuously whether the oven is in convection mode or not. I haven't seen any such complaints about the fan noise in the dual fuel version though, so I'm wondering if there's a big difference between them.

My other concern is that while the lower oven in both models is electric, the all-gas version runs at 110-120 volts vs the dual fuel model which runs on 220-240v. I've seen some reports about the lower oven in the AG model being very slow to warm up and then slow to recover its temperature after opening the drawer due to the weakness of the lower voltage heating element.

So my questions are:

- Can owners of either of these models comment on the convection fan noise?

- Can owners of either of these models report on how long it takes to preheat the lower oven to, say, 375F so we can compare?

Finally, if you have this range teamed up with the GE Cafe CV936MSS range hood I'd like to hear what you think about its performance and noise level. Or conversely, if you passed over the GE Cafe range hood for another model I'd like to hear why.

Thanks

Comments (4)