SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenyang

indow cladding color choice on a gray (Nichiha) sided house?

karenyang
15 years ago

Not quite sure where to post this, so I'm going to start here since this is the board I frequent most often (ideas on other boards that would be appropriate? windows doesn't seem right. Decorating, maybe?).

We are building a 2-story, craftsman-cottage style home in suburbia (Bay Area, CA). Siding will be charcoal gray Nichiha shingles on the 2nd floor and horizontal Nichiha boards on the 1st floor painted the same charcoal color, with an El Dorado stone wainscot in Sierra Mountain Lodge, which is grays with tans.

We have to place our window order soon and are going with a clad wood window, sash-set casements with hefty divided light gridlines, and doors with sash-set transoms above. The question is what color cladding to go with?

A safe choice would be to go with some type of off-white. We'll be trimming out the windows and doors in an off-white color, regardless.

However, I have seen a bit of resurgence of dark gray or black windows and they look pretty spectacular. Just haven't seen them on a craftsman, or on a particularly dark house, as ours will be.

Does anyone have any pictures or examples of this type of combo? I'm having a terrible time visualizing it (I've colored in the windows of various craftsman houses in magazines, etc. - sort of helps, actually....). Does it sound like it'll be too dark or look like the house doesn't have any windows (dark windows tend to recede)? Window, door and house trim (including square columns on the porches) will all be painted the off-white color.

Looking for your opinions, thanks!

Karen

Comments (8)