SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scarlett001

Wood fence stain colour to go with light gray/blue siding

Scarlett001
9 years ago

A year ago, a big windstorm blew over the back fence (the two side fences were fine). I got a new fence put in and want to use a solid stain on the back fence. Initially, the idea was to colour match since I like the light/medium gray/blue colour well enough and it does go well with the vinyl siding on the house.

I've been trying to find a good colour match for the stain, and the closest so far is Silver Lake by BM, although it does appears a tad too light so I can move up to the next shade darker (it is from the old colours so easy to move up one shade in intensity) which I think will be a perfect match.

I got thinking that while I can match the current fence colour, I could consider changing the entire fence colour - although I am not that keen on painting the side fences I could do it. Photos to follow.

My options are:
(i) To match the back fence to the existing side fence colour
(ii) To get an approximate match, but maybe lighten/brighten the colour a bit - this way the match will be good enough that I won't have to rush to stain the side fences, but perhaps next summer I could redo the side fences.
(iii) To do the entire fence an entirely different colour (not sure what I would do, as white is one option and that might be a bit too bright in the sun, and I don't want the fence to be any darker).

Thoughts anyone?

This post was edited by Scarlett001 on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 19:10

Comments (13)