SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Combi-steam: my new trick

plllog
12 years ago

I've been contemplating the gigantabird. Passover is early this year, and I have a lot of cleaning to do, and thinking about the bird has been making me tired. :) And it's not for a month. So I got this idea that I could steam it! Not that a gigantabird will fit in the the combi-steam. So I bought a gigantabreast half and a normal thigh (being what they had), just to experiment. But, you see, I've just been plain out tired! I was going to play with some kind of seasoning or stuffing under the skin, etc. Then I thought if I just got it in the oven it would be cooked before my first meeting yesterday. But I was not only still tired, I had a headache (from lack of sleep, probably)!

Out came the bottle of black currant cabernet mole sauce (excellent glaze), the shaker of garlic pepper (inc. salt), a little box of sage, and the remnants of the rosemary from last week's duck. Brush brush, shake shake, turn turn, brush brush, shake shake, lay herbs on top of skin. Pop into combi- at settings from clue wheel, with time added for the larger weight. Ding ding. Insert thermometer. Thigh is perfect, put in plate. Breast could use a little more heat. Set another 12 minutes. Remove. Slice thigh while breast rests. Slice breast. Oooh, it's lunch time, throw together salad and serve turkey to all and sundry.

DELICIOUS!! The herbs actually smelled bad as the cooking started, in a leafy kind of way, but the turkey had a delicate flavor of them without the whole effort of lifting the skin and arranging them nicely, and with really no more effort than I use for boneless chicken breasts, I have delicious turkey.

So, comes the gigantaquestion: If I do boneless will it taste as good? I could fit a lot more turkey in the little bitty oven if it didn't have any bones... (I'm thinking I have another experiment coming next week... Meantime, I have turkey to string and freeze for summer salads.)

Comments (15)