SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Bill V., Mongo tub flange and tile

palimpsest
15 years ago

Hi:

I have only one bathroom with a cast iron tub. The floor is a wet bed, and the shower walls are wire mesh and mortar and tile.

The bathtub is scratched from an old shower door frame, but I do not want to remove the tub.

I was thinking of removing the wall tile (and associated bed) and fabricating a 'deck' for the tub out of solid surface or marble.

The solid surface one I saw had a built up cove for the tile to sit on, and behind this another flange, that I assume was filling in for the tub flange. When they installed the cement board, they left a gap between the flange and the Durock. The installer explained that this gap above the raised lip or flange prevented any water that infiltrated into this area from traveling up into the cement board and causing mold or mildew.

This seems awfully elaborate. If the tub deck were fabricated of marble, I assume it would be a marble rectangular "Doughnut" that sat on the rim of the tub, and thats that.

Also, how much thickness would a mosaic tile (such as rectified hex) add on top of an existing tile/mortar bed?

There is already an inch step into the bathroom. The floor is intact with a small area of tiles that "sound" loose but are not noticably loose. The floor seems intact but their IS a slight off level-ness to it. (The entire area in this 1840 house has a "sag" that has been there so long, that a 40 year old renovation has compensations built in for it.)

Comments (4)