SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

36' induction cooktop: center under island hood?

flseadog
15 years ago

Please help. Our granite guys will be here tomorrow to do the cutout for our 36" GE induction cooktop. The island hood has already been installed and the front edge of the hood is approx. 3" behind the front edge of the granite overhang. The only guidance the cooktop installation guide gives is to have a minimum of 2-1/2" of granite in front of the cut out. DH thinks we should line up the front edge of the cooktop with the front edge of the hood. Since the edge of the cooktop will overlap the cut out slightly this means we will have about 3" of granite in front of the edge of the cooktop and 3-1/2" of granite in front of the cut out. So we will be exceeding the minimum requirement for the cut out by about 1" (I hope all of this is making sense so far). With this arrangement, however, we will have more hood behind the cooktop surface. In other words, the cooktop will not be centered under the hood.

So here is the question: 1.) for best function should the cooktop be centered under the hood, or does it not matter if it is centered or not from front to back, and 2.) even if it doesn't matter will it be more aethetically pleasing to have it centered. I care about function first but all else being equal I would like to have it look right also.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments (6)