SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buildinva

What's the housing market doing?

15 years ago

We know we want to build, but we're not sure when. A friend who's a Realtor gave us his opinion of the market--he said he thinks it has *not* hit bottom (at least not here in VA) but that it's still declining and will be for 12-18 more months. He advised that if we want to sell our house any time in the next 5 years we should do it TOMORROW.

This is not what we were expecting to hear. We were actually hoping to sell in 1-2 years, but he said we can expect to get 20% less if we do that. Ugh.

Any thoughts/opinions on this? I confess I'm not very knowledgeable about this type of thing. Any tips on how I can learn more about it? Other than watching CNN, lol!

Advice for us? Sell now, ahead of schedule, and live with family and/or rent until we can build (1-2 years) or just stay where we are and be prepared to stay 5 years or longer?

Where do you think the housing market is going? How will this affect those of us building or hoping to build?

[FYI, a secret fear I have is that our neighborhood is declining in value, separate from the housing mess. It's a cookie cutter new construction type that was put up quickly and all the houses look alike, vinyl siding and all. Our house is 5 years old and along with the others in the neighborhood, is starting to show signs of wear. *sigh*]

Comments (30)