SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

shopping at antique mall

Purplemoon
14 years ago

My friend and I decided we needed some fun, and headed to the big antique mall yesterday afternoon.

I found these two plates for $5 each. Back of them said Royal Wessex. I went to eBay to see what other information I could find. They are actually listed there as Myott's Country Life, by Royal Wessex. And are double what I paid. These were made in 1982. As most of you know, I've been occasionally picking up a few transferware plates with horse scenes, just for decorating, since last Fall. But if I was buying dish sets, this would be a set I'd want. Besides the blue, it comes in red and brown. But the brown is just the rim, the center of pattern is colored and SO pretty. The plates all have this horse scene, but the platter and other pieces have various Hunt scenes on them. I love them! The colored is actually my favorite after seeing it.

{{gwi:1411262}}

I found this sweet Cherub and decided he needed to come home and join my few others.

{{gwi:1411263}}
And now for my BIG score. I am always wishing and dreaming and wanting various pieces of antique furniture. I have a love of small tables, and especially marble-topped ones. But due to no

place for more furniture, and the prices, I never buy any. Till now. I saw this little sideboard and fell instantly in love. When I saw the "mail box drawers", I went to open one...and discovered that this piece actually has 3 regular drawers in the middle, and each side is a cabinet door, with two shelves in it. I thought price was fair, $244. My friend and I were halfway thru the place (takes 2 hours to walk it due to 500 booths in there and seeing EVERYthing!), so I told her I was going to "think" about this. And think where the heck would I put it. As we finished shopping I still didn't know, I just knew I loved it. I was paying for my little things, when I suddenly knew if I left it behind, it would be one of those things I regretted doing. So I asked the manager if he'd call the vendor and see if I could get a better price, and also needed to measure it and the space in my mini van, to see if I could take it home. Its a small sideboard, 41" long and 19" wide, and 36" high, so no problem riding home in mini van and they would load it. The manager then told me the vendor said he'd take $30 off for me. Ok, SOLD!! I had to get my DD and her hubby to come unload and bring it in since no way we could do. That thing is really heavy!! My DH has a bad back and I can't lift anything these days. For now its in my entry way and I moved another table out of there into the living-room. So I finally have a sideboard again. (I've really regretted letting my late grandmother's go, but when I sold her big table/ 6 chairs/ sm china hutch, the folks really wanted the hutch to keep the set together. I felt it should stay together too, but it was just too large for this house. Her sideboard was big, tho no marble top.)

Anyway, I really had a good day and my DH didn't have heart failure when he found out what I'd bought.

( my body didn't appreciate all that walking as usual. It really hates me, but the feeling is mutual. LOL)

Naturally Jazz-- aka Trouble-- had to come check things out.

the darkest color is the true color, my flash made it lighter in some areas.

{{gwi:1411266}}
hugs, Karen

Comments (15)

Sponsored
More Discussions